Slimline proof of concept

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chaz

Chaz

I had some old parts and cutoffs and decided to try something like this. Cork grip with brown ebony end. Gunmetal Slimline hardware

Not exactly what I was looking for, but not awful.

PXL_20240419_170733364.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

My opinion is something you may not want to hear but will post it. Not a serviceable pen. The cork will break down and fall apart. if you turn too thin it will happen even faster and too thick just makes it look clumsy. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Chaz

My opinion is something you may not want to hear but will post it. Not a serviceable pen. The cork will break down and fall apart. if you turn too thin it will happen even faster and too thick just makes it look clumsy. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Well, I would beg to differ with your opinion of the cork. I've used this same kind of cork to make grips for fly and spinning rods, and they last for years through much harsher conditions and treatment than a pen will go through. The way I see it, the pen will get lost long before the cork disintegrates.

PatrickR

I like it. i would pair it with an old fashioned desk holder, like banks had. Maybe make it longer.
cork flooring used to be common. Quality cork like this will hold up well and patina nicely.

jttheclockman

Well, I would beg to differ with your opinion of the cork. I've used this same kind of cork to make grips for fly and spinning rods, and they last for years through much harsher conditions and treatment than a pen will go through. The way I see it, the pen will get lost long before the cork disintegrates.
Well then good for you and hope you make a bunch of them. I have been wrong most of my life so no biggie. Good luck.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm a fan. And I have used a cork sleeved soldering iron from my father who was an electrician for Western Electric. Probably 60 years old, no chips in the cork yet.

Top Bottom