Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Pen 7

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Entries are in and they are amazing. Your job is to pick the best Pen that has the best creativity, design and craftsmanship!

Pen 1
Description: Made from Birdseye Maple and Rosewood
Pen 1a.jpeg

pen 1b.jpeg

pen 1c.jpeg

Pen 2

Title of Your Entry: A little black(wood) dress
Description: Figured African blackwood combined with (crazy orange) cocobolo for accents. The second tube is glued inside the body that was drilled for 10.3 centimeters, the furthest the drill could go. The refill can be changed but is permanently extended as I found out that the transmission doesn't handle well being spun at a few hundred rpm. So glue was called to the rescue to keep it together.
pen 2a.jpg

pen 2b.jpg

pen 2n.jpg

Pen 3
Title of Your Entry: Coils
Description: The defining criteria of this contest is the 7mm tubes so I decided to make that the focus of my pen. An open design that would show off the tubes was coils. I designed the pen components in Fusion 360 and 3D printed them. To ensure the focus on the brass I polished the tubes and finished the pen in flat black. The bottom of the tubes are glued into a pocket in the base which allows the retraction of the refill by rotating the tip. The pen sits comfortably on the desk vertically ready for use.
pen 3a.jpeg

pen 3b.jpeg

pen 3c.jpeg

Pen 4
Title of Your Entry: Antler slim
Description: I sawed a roe deer antler in two pieces (nib and lower barrel are one piece), drilled them, glued the tubes, inserted a twist mechanism and a Parker refill. I turned the antler but preserved part of the exterior, including the burr, i.e. the bumpy area near the head of the animal. Sanded and polished. Length 4"7/8, weight
Pen 4a.jpg

pen 4b.jpg

pen 4c.JPG

Pen 5
Title of Your Entry: Lighthouse Desk Pen
Description: This pen was build around the tubes, transmission and refill from a slimline kit as well as an LED ballon light. The "lantern" of the ballon light was domed and too short and was replaced with a lantern made from clear PR resin. The lighthouse housing and nose are also bespoke. The base was made from carved soap stone and table top epoxy. The light is turned on by tightening the lighthouse housing and the refill is extended and retracted by turning the nose cone.
pen 5a.jpeg

pen 5b.jpeg

pen 5c.jpeg

Pen 6
Title of Your Entry: Bud Vase Pen
Description: Laburnum Pen, Walnut Stand, Pine and mahogany flower, finished with Danish Oil.
pen 5a.jpg

pen 5b.jpg

pen 5c.jpg

Pen 7
Title of Your Entry: Pen call
Description: This is made from South American mystery burl (possible mahogany burl) with african blackwood as the body of the pen so it looks more like a reed. The band was made from a 3/4" copper water pipe.

pen 7a.jpg

pen 7b.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I agree, not quite sure why the images have been so small... It is really hard to tell the quality and intricacies of so many submissions this year, because of the overly small size of the images.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I posted in my other contest this as well. The photos are down loaded from the contest entries and then reloaded into the new thread. I reloaded them at full size insert not thumbnails. I will check to see if there is something that can be done.

Fred Bruche

A resized picture to 800x600 pixels would be equivalent to a 2"x2.5" size from my recollection of resizing pictures in PS. Eyeballing it, it seems it's what's being displayed, a 2"x2.5" picture. Could have something to do with the upgraded software. Way beyond my paygrade... 😅

jrista

A lot of these images are only 150x200 pixels in size. I get the feeling something went wrong with the image submissions, and instead of being resized to even 800x600 (which is still small by today's standards...I'm on 4k screens everywhere, and 150x200 is TI-NY!!), it seems they were resized to thumbnail size.

jttheclockman

All photos are here now and all are larger to better see. Good job on the fix. Now to fix the other polls would be great.

RobS

Just wow, serious creativity, so hard to pick one. Congratulations to every single one of you. I'm impressed.

Top Bottom