Slimline click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

First let me say this is not my best work. The blanks are a little bit too thin at the hardware junctions.
I had bought 2 of these and basically destroyed one trying various modifications.
Although there are other refills that will fit inside the tubes, the joining hardware will not allow them to pass and there is not enough thickness to allow them to be sanded down on the ID to fit the refill. I also tried a plastic refill, like the ones in promo pens. I cut about 1/2" off the length to match the mini refill with the adapter supplied.
However, the end of the refill would occasionally get jammed between the click mechanism and the tube and get stuck. There has to be something larger on the refill end.
That is what the adapter does on the mini refill.
I also discovered that the long spring needs to be oriented correctly or it will jamb.
I'm going to use this at work for a while and see how it holds up before investing in any more.

Also, I found the mini refills are available at staples and checking online they are available other places.

Attachments

• SLC1.jpg
    SLC1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Dale: check out the slim line pro, you can do a lot with them. Also look up. Patrick R. Post clicks and stands for more idea on Slim line pro.

Woodchipper

Interesting thread and replies. No matter what the problem or situation, there are always others willing to help, sharing their expertise or experience.đź‘Ź

leehljp

Member Liaison
The blanks are a little bit too thin at the hardware junctions.

Dale, I can't help on most of your needs, but as to the blanks being too thin at the junctions: With experience in CA finishes, it is fairly easy to build up enough CA that it is not noticeable. I alway turn my blanks around .005 too much and build up the CA to + .01 or so and then sand/turn down to precise size - using calipers for measuring of course. One note, this is difficult to do using paper towel. Use little baggies, or foam applicators to apply and build up the CA.

Great looking pen!

magpens

@Dale Allen

Thanks for posting.
It's not clear what you are getting at in the following quotation. . Sounds like you are trying to use refills other than what's supplied with the kit.

"Although there are other refills that will fit inside the tubes, the joining hardware will not allow them to pass and there is not enough thickness to allow them to be sanded down on the ID to fit the refill. I also tried a plastic refill, like the ones in promo pens. I cut about 1/2" off the length to match the mini refill with the adapter supplied. "

I would appreciate it if you would please state what kit you started with and what you are trying to do, please.

Let me say that I am not familiar with any slimline kit that is supplied with a push button mechanism. . That would be desirable.
So maybe you are trying to modify a slimline twist pen kit to make it into a slimline clicker. . That is an interesting and useful goal.
It would be particularly interesting if you are trying to get a Parker-style refill to work in a slimline with a clicker mechanism.

Please elaborate and expand what you have told us. . I would appreciate that very much. . Thanks.

Dale Allen

Mal;
Now you have me a bit confused. An earlier thread by you referenced this kit that is available from woodturningz.

I was just following up on an idea that I expressed in that thread. My attempt was to try to use a more popular refill with this kit.
That fact that it uses a mini refill seemed to be the deal breaker when considering this kit.

Top Bottom