Slimline - Celtic Knot using Curly Maple with Texas Ebony Inserts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thomgarner

thomgarner

I spent the day making this pen, it is a slimline that I completed a Celtic Knot using my new trimming sled I built last week. I cut the inserts out of Texas Ebony and used a piece of Curly maple for the body. The finish of course is a CA finish. Let me know what you think, I was a little excited on how it came out.

Pen Kit: Slimline
Wood: Curly Maple w/ Texas Ebony Inserts
Finish: CA Finish

Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (1).JPG Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (2).JPG Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (3).JPG Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (4).JPG
Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (5).JPG Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (6).JPG Slimline Celtic Curly Maple 1 (7).JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

I spent the day making this pen, it is a slimline that I completed my first Celtic Knot using my new trimming sled I built last week. I cut the inserts out of Texas Ebony and used a piece of Curly maple for the body. The finish of course is a CA finish. Let me know what you think, I was a little excited on how it came out.at how it came out.

That looks great brother !

Definitely one to be excited about !

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Tom. The combination with the Maple and Texas Ebony is perfect. Every segmentation you do will reveal 2 more design tweaks for future projects. The top knot looks very tight and well executed. I'll suggest no knot on the bottom section, or a simple end cap segmentation, or a similar 4 segment knot (that will be tough to get the symmetry correct).

Well done, knots are tricky buggers!

jttheclockman

Looks like you have the sled dialed in and it looks exact. If I may make a suggestion or two. Doing on a slimline cries out for thinner material which means a thinner blade. I would also stretch the knot out instead of 45 degrees. Good job with what you did though.

thomgarner

Looks like you have the sled dialed in and it looks exact. If I may make a suggestion or two. Doing on a slimline cries out for thinner material which means a thinner blade. I would also stretch the knot out instead of 45 degrees. Good job with what you did though.
I am getting a Freud Thin kerf blade next month for my table saw and my miter saw and this will help me make thinner cuts as you suggested. I agree that 1/8 kerf is a little thick but it is the blade I have šŸ˜° so I will do another when it is installed.

thomgarner

Very nice Tom. The combination with the Maple and Texas Ebony is perfect. Every segmentation you do will reveal 2 more design tweaks for future projects. The top knot looks very tight and well executed. I'll suggest no knot on the bottom section, or a simple end cap segmentation, or a similar 4 segment knot (that will be tough to get the symmetry correct).

Well done, knots are tricky buggers!
Good feed back Mark, I am getting a thin kerf blade next month that will also help.

jttheclockman

You do not say what type saw you are using but to let you know that you can use a 7-1/4" blade on a tablesaw too and they come thinner than 10"

John Eldeen

Good looking pen Tom really good job on the alignment I would have to agree with some of the previous comments on a slimline is so thin try cutting you knot at 60 degrees instead of 45 degrees to stretch the knot out. As far as the lower barrel I kind of like it but I definitely see a starting point of many other designs. Keep up the great work.

DrD

Very nice job Thom! What is Texas Ebony? Not familiar with any wood by that name; lived in Texas off and on for a number of years, don't recall ever running across any such.

thomgarner

Very nice job Thom! What is Texas Ebony? Not familiar with any wood by that name; lived in Texas off and on for a number of years, don't recall ever running across any such.
It's a wood I got from my dealer FlyingMWoodworks they also supply my mesquite and mesquite burl

Reactions: DrD
Top Bottom