Sing along to the tune!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You all remember the Miss America pageant??

Bert Parks crooning, "The most Beautiful Burl in the World"......

Well, ExoticBlanks now has it!

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so we can't tell you exactly WHICH blank it is, but with the incredible collection that is currently sitting in my office, the MOST beautiful one is there somewhere! So, for the next few days visit ExoticBlanks frequently to make sure your fellow pen-makers don't beat you to the PRIZE piece!!

"The persistent bird gets the burl" as they say!!

(Who they?????)

Best of hunting!!
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

That's just mean!
🤣🤣

ps: have noticed several pens posted as being burl which don't look like burl to me at all.
Are we ever getting a formal definition of a burl?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In the last six months, I have purchased quite a few burl slabs. (They are about 500 pounds each)
Then, you cut them up into pen blanks. Some areas have figure, some don't. So, how do you advertise them?
They are burl no matter how plain--but I have taken the time to put up individual pictures because I agree
that burls (for PEN blanks) should show figure.

Of course taking individual pictures and posting individually takes time.

So, what is the RIGHT answer??

(I mean this as a question, not an argument--input is encouraged!!)

kronewi

Perhaps those with the figure are list as burl. Those that are not might just be listed as the wood type absent the burl moniker? Or list it as burl followed by no figure?

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

jttheclockman

You could always do a grading system. Museum grade being the best. But utmost being honest about what you are selling is always key. Do not do the bait and switch thing where you show grade A+++ and send C grade blanks. I always like to see the opposite side at least. Seeing all 4 sides is a bonus and again that needs to be the blanks people are buying. Hey yes selling blanks is alot of work but so what that is why you got in the business. Lots of blank sellers out there. Those little details make a difference.

derekdd

You could always do a grading system. Museum grade being the best. But utmost being honest about what you are selling is always key. Do not do the bait and switch thing where you show grade A+++ and send C grade blanks. I always like to see the opposite side at least. Seeing all 4 sides is a bonus and again that needs to be the blanks people are buying. Hey yes selling blanks is alot of work but so what that is why you got in the business. Lots of blank sellers out there. Those little details make a difference.
I agree with the grading system. Guitar builders certainly use a rating system for figured tops, whether flame or quilted maple, bearclawed spruce, figured koa or redwood.

I bought a couple of exhibition grade koa blanks from an online company that were nice but I'd seen plenty nicer. For the price I paid, I was less than satisfied, but sometimes that's the nature of wood, particularly figured wood.

Considering how many blanks companies go through, it's probably a daunting task to get it right consistently.

Also, what we see on the outside isn't always what we get on the inside.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

One of my "pet peeves" is the grading system. I have never been to an "exhibition" or to a "museum" that showcases wood blanks. So who decides it is "exhibition grade"?? (Dawn says we should "go with the flow", so you will find that term on Exotics)

Taking pictures showing four sides takes twice as long--so should the blanks cost at least 25% more?

When you cut up 500 pounds of wood, the "fantastic" pieces may be 5%, or on some slabs-NONE. Yes, there are a lot of blanks available but many blanks cut from a burl are pretty bland. Just information-no real goal in mind. I hope to find a fair way to price it.

jttheclockman

One of my "pet peeves" is the grading system. I have never been to an "exhibition" or to a "museum" that showcases wood blanks. So who decides it is "exhibition grade"?? (Dawn says we should "go with the flow", so you will find that term on Exotics)

Taking pictures showing four sides takes twice as long--so should the blanks cost at least 25% more?

When you cut up 500 pounds of wood, the "fantastic" pieces may be 5%, or on some slabs-NONE. Yes, there are a lot of blanks available but many blanks cut from a burl are pretty bland. Just information-no real goal in mind. I hope to find a fair way to price it.
Well Ed you know museum grade is just a term used as an adjective to designate prominence and it is the premium and the prices always reflect that from all vendors. Use the grading system of A, A+, A++, B The public has a right to know what grade or condition the blanks are in because we do not have them in hand. This happens with all vendors selling wood on the internet. Just do not be one of those bait and switch guys because reputation counts as you know. I have seen it and been victim. Not fun. Cutting blanks from boards is always a case of sap wood, bland sections and so forth. That is Mother Nature. If you get boards that has full perfect grain the boards is worth more than your whole shop. I can not help with pricing because you are also competing with other vendors and what you charge including labor is your business. The public will decide if it is fair. As far as cutting goes, you chose to do this. That is on you. You can always farm it out along with photo taking and be the middleman as you do with many blanks you sell from other crafters. Just like with other business aspects you have the intangibles such as wear and tear on equipment and blades, use of electric, storing and packing and you know the rest. Just all part of business. Grading is the easy part. Do not get too complicated. Depending on the burl throughout the blank determines grade. Just an opinion because you asked. Buying wood blanks is probably the hardest thing we do in pen making because of the trust involved. (more ways than one) Good luck.

GaryMGg

In the last six months, I have purchased quite a few burl slabs. (They are about 500 pounds each)
Then, you cut them up into pen blanks. Some areas have figure, some don't….
They are burl no matter how plain--…

I hope you can make a profit on this wood.

If the blank is part of a burl, even if it's plain, Factually, this is correct.
This also makes one wonder how someone decides where the burl ends—understanding you're not just referring to the edges but to interior portions.

I believe most people expect Burl to have eyes and/or extraordinary figure.
I bought a small (10 lbs) Redwood burl—it's eyes through and through.
I bought a box of slices from Isaac Rapelje and each one was highly figured with eyes or the reversing curl one associates to burl.

I don't know anyone who would be happy to have a stick of plain big leaf maple, ambrosia or any other wood and pay more for it just because it was a portion of a burl.
Personally, I'd rather have curly maple than a piece of wood from a giant burl with no figure to speak of.
I feel the same way about plain Ancient Kauri—it doesn't do anything for me.

I don't know how they define Exhibition or Museum grade. Is there a standard OR is it hocus-pocus?

bugradx2

Then, you cut them up into pen blanks. Some areas have figure, some don't. So, how do you advertise them?
They are burl no matter how plain--but I have taken the time to put up individual pictures because I agree
that burls (for PEN blanks) should show figure.

Of course taking individual pictures and posting individually takes time.

(I mean this as a question, not an argument--input is encouraged!!)
Perhaps the way to go is a 4 part system? Maybe this is what you already use?

When the blank is cut and Ed & Dawn look at it....
Exhibition grade - you both go "ooh, that's a gorgeous blank"
Select grade - one of you says "I really like that one"
Normal grade - you both say "it's a blank"
kindling grade - either one or both of you looks at it and questions why you went to the effort to cut it in the first place

I also hope you take this for the sarcasm that was intended and it brings a chuckle.

Top Bottom