Silly sizes are frustraing me....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aussie Chris

Ok..so here I sit, trying to figure out to assemble a pen kit.
The OD of the pen nib is 9.7mm and the ID of the tube is 10.0mm...
How in the world do I fix this, please ?

cheers
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Chris. Can you give us more info. What is the kit?? This will tell us what the parts are suppose to be. What did you measure this with. The tubes size is usually OD and it probably will fit just right. Did you try sliding the nib into the tube?? As I said more info is needed. Where on the nib are you measuring?

Aussie Chris

Hello Chris. Can you give us more info. What is the kit?? This will tell us what the parts are suppose to be. What did you measure this with. The tubes size is usually OD and it probably will fit just right. Did you try sliding the nib into the tube?? As I said more info is needed. Where on the nib are you measuring?
Hi John. Thank you for your reply.. The kit is for a PK Golfer. I am using a digital Caliper for measuring. I am measuring the nib OD at the end that is supposed to fit into the tube...about half way up the insertion length. The nib does slide inside the tube, but not securely. OD of the tube is 10.3mm

jttheclockman

https://www.woodturningz.com/downloads/commander_ins.pdf

Do you have any more of these kits?? I would measure the others. It has been posted here before that wrong tubes or defective parts have come within kits. Not sure how new these are and maybe they had a bad run. My guess the problem is with the nib. The measurements of tube sound right because that takes a 10.5 drill bit if I have the right kit. You may have to check with supplier and let them know of the problem. They may not be aware of it.

Aussie Chris

Hi John. Thank you for your reply.. The kit is for a PK Golfer. I am using a digital Caliper for measuring. I am measuring the nib OD at the end that is supposed to fit into the tube...about half way up the insertion length. The nib does slide inside the tube, but not securely. OD of the tube is 10.3mm

jttheclockman

????

Aussie Chris

https://www.woodturningz.com/downloads/commander_ins.pdf

Do you have any more of these kits?? I would measure the others. It has been posted here before that wrong tubes or defective parts have come within kits. Not sure how new these are and maybe they had a bad run. My guess the problem is with the nib. The measurements of tube sound right because that takes a 10.5 drill bit if I have the right kit. You may have to check with supplier and let them know of the problem. They may not be aware of it.
Thanks, John. agreed. I am wondering if there is some way that I can use some kind of "filler" to make up the difference. I have noticed that with a number of pen kits, the sizing of some parts vary from the "tube" measurement..and have been advised that "nothing is perfect"... hence I am open to suggestions on what to use to "bridge the gap", so to speak.

jttheclockman

Thanks, John. agreed. I am wondering if there is some way that I can use some kind of "filler" to make up the difference. I have noticed that with a number of pen kits, the sizing of some parts vary from the "tube" measurement..and have been advised that "nothing is perfect"... hence I am open to suggestions on what to use to "bridge the gap", so to speak.
Have to say I never ran into a sloppy fit kit since I have been doing pens. But many times people need to make a slip fit with the kit parts into tubes because the nature of some blanks like snakewood and many others that are prone to cracking. What they do then is use some blue locktite to hold the parts in. The blue allows the parts to be able to be punched out where as red will make a permanent bond.

But with that said there should not be that slop and I would contact vendor and let them know. As I said if you have other kits I would try them and see if they are all the same problem or it maybe just one kit. That is about all I can suggest. Maybe someone here has made this kit and has a better answer. Good luck.

Mortalis

Not to cite the obvious but you are trying to fit the coupler into the tube and not just the tip?

1618144221828.png

Top Bottom