Silicone Lubricant-How Do you Clean It Up??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Handy coincidence. There is a discussion in the finishing forum about silicone contamination; but no real comments about how to clean it up. The discussion, obviously, had to do with wood and pens; but I have a different situation so a new thread is in order.

One of grandbaby's favorite electrical; toys is in the tank and she wants it repaired. A tiny little plastic(nylon?) gear on a small DC motor has cracked and is spinning/slipping on the motor shaft. Not a lot of force on the gear and I think I could glue(maybe CA) the gear on the shaft and get it running again. Problem is the shaft and the gear have a lube all over it and I think it is silicone. In the past silicone has always been a headache for me and I have never found anything to clean it up.....must admit I haven't looked too hard. Always just used a paper towel and did the best that I could. Don't think that will be good enough here.

Is there a solvent that will remove a silicone lubricant AND not damage plastic?? And if I can't be absolutely sure all of the silicone is gone, what would be the best adhesive.....CA, epoxy, Loctite, JB Weld, or other??

Thanks for any suggestions.

btboone

Randy, a lot depends on the gear plastic. It might likely be made rom Delrin, in which case essentially nothing will hurt it. The bad news is that nothing will glue it either. Nylon would get eaten by a solvent, so something like WD-40, which doesn't eat plastic, followed by Simple Green or another detergent might help clean it up. Acetone alone would work well as a solvent glue in this case. Press the parts together and have capillary action suck the solvent in. Keep pressure on the parts until things are set.

cozee

Try 6:1 mix of iso alcohol and ammonia. Works for me and I was one of the posters in the thread you mentioned. As for adhesives, if it is nylpn, you might need to remove some moisture from it so a glue will stick. This can be done by baking it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at about 200-250 degrees. Be sure it is nylon before baking or you just might end up with a pile of goo!! A good epoxy will suffice and be sure to scuff the adhesion areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom