Sierra Mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I have been looking at a new style Sierra kit for weeks. Then I saw someone had modded another Sierra kit. Now this is the Gatsby v2. It is a finial twist. The acrylic is some stuff I got from a friend and it was a "test" blank. Comments welcome.

sierramodsm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

OK, the color is more of a purple than the gray. 55 views, no comments? Don't get caught up in the material, think about the concept.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Don't know if it's the picture or not. But it looks yellowish and I'm not a fan of the blank. But like the idea of changing the cap.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hans, I like it but would make two changes.
First I would taper the finial mod a bit so that it was similar to the original shape, then ( because I don't like the black ) I would swap the front section too. Changing the front section is difficult but not impossible.

hewunch

Not in the picture, but the finial is not straight, it has a dip in it. Skip, I agree. I tried to knock out the nib and it didn't want to budge on me. :beat-up:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Not in the picture, but the finial is not straight, it has a dip in it. Skip, I agree. I tried to knock out the nib and it didn't want to budge on me. :beat-up:

The black section is sort of 'swaged' on. If you drill a hole in a bit of MDF or something so that the black section fits in about half way, then you can knock it out. It will wreck the black part, so there is no going back. I prefer to turn it off with a parting tool.

There is enough metal on the nib and other end to turn them down a bit more so that your blank has a bit of meat. I'm talking about the bits that would be pressed into a tube.
I don't really like Sierra's so don't mind 'playing' with them cos I like the mech and clip.

hewunch

Skip, good advice. I tried knocking out the nib. I think I got it a little loose, but not enough to take out. I will play more next time :biggrin:

Brooks803

I have mixed feelings about it Hans. I like the concept, and I know you have to leave something on the end to twist. I'm not a fan of the shape though. It does get my creative juices flowing though so if you bring it tomorrow I'll run them by you. Btw...I hope I'm not the "friend" you got the blank from...I know I've given away trash blanks before but I don't think I could let that one escape the incinerator.

JohnU

I agree with skiprat. I like the idea and think the front needs to go also. I took one apart and never finished it. lol someday....

PaulDoug

I really like the concept. I'm not a fan of the Sierra or simular kits because of all the plastic. I like to see the wood or what is being used for the blank. I'll like it even better when you show one with all the black plastic gone.

Top Bottom