Siberian Elm Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

This one took about 4-5 different days to work on. It is Siberian Elm... I never turned this wood before. Apparently, the grain is interwoven which makes it difficult. I also could not put a friction finish on it either... it didn't like it.

8.5" x 3"
One coat of shellac, eight coats of spray lacquer, and buffed with Carnauba wax.

Attachments

• SE 0001d.jpg
    SE 0001d.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 80
  • SE 0001a.jpg
    SE 0001a.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 80
  • SE 0001b.jpg
    SE 0001b.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 77
  • SE 0001e.jpg
    SE 0001e.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 71
  • SE 0001f.jpg
    SE 0001f.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 84
  • SE 0001g.jpg
    SE 0001g.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 86
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
is the wood heavy? I picked up a couple of bowl blanks at my wood importer that they were calling ELM, but from the weight of the wood I thought maybe it might have been Pecan... turned it looks a lot like your bowls, so now wonder if I might have some Siberian Elm too.
I have the bowls rough turned, but no finish on them other than my version of Yorkshire Grit... I plan to start my finish tomorrow.

PreacherJon

is the wood heavy? I picked up a couple of bowl blanks at my wood importer that they were calling ELM, but from the weight of the wood I thought maybe it might have been Pecan... turned it looks a lot like your bowls, so now wonder if I might have some Siberian Elm too.
I have the bowls rough turned, but no finish on them other than my version of Yorkshire Grit... I plan to start my finish tomorrow.
Yes! For the size of this bowl, it is quite heavy. This tree was taken down last fall at the firehouse. This piece came from the lower trunk of the tree. They kept telling me it was Chinese Elm. But the bark of the tree was not even close to Chinese Elm nor was the grain. I looked it up and it was definitely Siberian Elm. Looking forward to seeing your pieces finished.

Top Bottom