Shows what I know, I thought it was a dance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Guess what...could be real.

samba - large west African tree having large palmately lobed leaves and axillary cymose panicles of small white flowers and one-winged seeds; yields soft white to pale yellow wood
arere, obechi, Triplochiton scleroxcylon, obeche
genus Triplochiton, Triplochiton - small genus of tropical African trees with maplelike leaves
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms

wood-of-1kind

Angela,
this is a real nice wood to turn. Samba (aka wawa, obeche) is very light but yet surprisingly strong. I thought that I was using balsawood at first. Will post a 'pic' if interested. Creamy white in colour and really takes a nice shine. You'll enjoy working with it. If you 'burn' some rings in the blank it will really stand out and give visual punch to your work.

-Peter-[:D][:D][:D] here's one for you[:D]

angboy

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Angela,
this is a real nice wood to turn. Samba (aka wawa, obeche) is very light but yet surprisingly strong. I thought that I was using balsawood at first. Will post a 'pic' if interested. Creamy white in colour and really takes a nice shine. You'll enjoy working with it. If you 'burn' some rings in the blank it will really stand out and give visual punch to your work.

-Peter-[:D][:D][:D] here's one for you[:D]

I'd love to see a picture! From his picture on the listing, I wondered if it would look like holly maybe?

Thanks for both!

wood-of-1kind

Samba, obeche, wawa - it's nice stuff. Just to show light this wood is, I weighed a full 6" blank of samba and it came out to 20 grams. A similar sized walnut blank with the same dimensions comes in at closer to 60 grams. You might say that the samba is very light on its feet.
-Peter-
2006623211242_samba1.jpg
<br />
2006623211258_samba.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

Nice work. But that wood is extremely lacking in the 'interesting' department. I cut some sycamore yesterday and after turning a candle stand from it, I'm thinking of throwing the whole batch into the woods because it is so plain. Looks a lot like your pen wood.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Nice work. But that wood is extremely lacking in the 'interesting' department.

There is beauty beyond the obvious. If we limit ourselves to just turning wood that is merely 'interesting' we'll be missing out on a lot of wood...Same may be said of IAP members.

-Peter-[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom