Shopsmith arbor ‘extension’.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi Rick, on my Shopsmith, I have adust chute for the 12" sanding disk that didn't fit because they changed the disk design from when mine was made in 1954. I was about to sell the chute when I decided to give it one more try. I remembered I had a 5/8" to threaded 5/8" arbor made by a machine shop teacher so I could use the Sears blades my Dad gave me. Well, the short version is that the disk fit on the end, (the arbor has a slot for the locknut) and all I had to do was adjust the outer cover so the disk could spin freely, which it did. Now that the problem is solved, I'd like to have an arbor made that fits the spindle and then has a non threaded end for the disk's set screw. Attached is a pic of what I have now.
CAAE87CC-D9A9-4031-A5A2-D068B61ED746.jpeg
343220A1-BFD2-4CD2-9796-E872891B6D81.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Hey Charles,

If I understand you correctly you want what you have in the photo WITHOUT the threaded end, just a 5/8" x 1.25" straight shaft with a flat milled on it for the set screw, is that correct? If so I'll make a little scratch drawing for you to look at and approve.

Curly

Charles I suggest you give Rick the dimension from the end of the thicker section to the centre of the grub screw so it seats in the right location of the whistle notch.

Chasboy1

The Shopsmith 'multi-use' Allen wrench is a 5/32" and the screws are 5/16". Just makes it a bit easier for tool switching, but I can live with 1/4-20.

Thanks for the reminder Curly. The distance to the center of the screw varies from 1/2-5/8" from the end of the arbor at the female end. Anywhere in that range should be fine.
thanks Rick, Payment on the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom