Shop Made 2"x72" Belt Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I decided to get in to knife making and after looking at all the options I decided it would be fun (and cheaper) to make my own.

I didn't think about pics until I was almost done so I'm sorry but no "in progress" photos.

IMG_8973.JPG
IMG_8974.JPG
IMG_8975.JPG
IMG_8976.JPG
IMG_8977.JPG

Those are the main parts before paint, here's the finished grinder...

IMG_8980.JPG
IMG_8981.JPG
IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8983.JPG
IMG_8984.JPG
IMG_8985.JPG
IMG_8986.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG
IMG_8988.JPG
IMG_8988.JPG
IMG_8989.JPG
IMG_8990.JPG
IMG_8991.JPG

I got the plans online from Jer's Woodshop, he also has a You Tube channel where you can see him build it. The plans are only $20 if you're interested.

Attachments

• IMG_8978.JPG
    IMG_8978.JPG
    905.8 KB · Views: 305
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

2 hp Baldor motor. 240 volt, 3 phase, 1800 rpm. I have it hooked up to a Hitachi VFD which I can vary from 0-120 hz.. The wheel I have on the motor gives me approx. a 1-1 ratio so I can run it from 0-3600 rpm.
I used a thick piece of steel on a 36 grit belt and tried with all my might to stall it out and I couldn't so I'm real happy about that.

Curly

I follow a group on FB (Home Built Belt Sanders) and dream of a day when I have time to make one, or get motivated. ;) Yours look nice and heavy. I have a 2hp Baldor from a large furnace fan but I think it is a 3600rpm. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the VFD?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have been looking at different belts sizes and lengths to make one and choosing what size I wanted. I really would like to make one with 4 inch belts but can't find long belts in 4" size. I finally figured that it would have to be the 2 x 72.

THEN I SAW YOURS! WOW. Love the different iterations and configurations that yours morphs into! Versatile! Love it! Excellent!

I have the metal square tubing to build one, but now I have to go and re-configure how I will build it! I probably won't build it to go from horizontal to vertical but the other vertical configurations I can do. Thanks for posting this!

rherrell

I follow a group on FB (Home Built Belt Sanders) and dream of a day when I have time to make one, or get motivated. ;) Yours look nice and heavy. I have a 2hp Baldor from a large furnace fan but I think it is a 3600rpm. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the VFD?
The VFD was about $300 and the remote faceplate was about $100. You can get cheaper VFDs but I bought that one because it's the same one I have on my metal lathe and I already know how to set it up.

rherrell

Very nice one of my eventually build plans.

Does the plane tell you where to order the rollers from?
He doesn't say in the plans but here's a link to a first rate set...

You can get cheaper but you know what they say!:)

Curly

One more question for the bonus round Rick.
You said you wanted to make knives. Are you doing metal removal knives or are you getting your "Forged in Fire" :rolleyes: on and hammering them out of hot metal?

rherrell

Stock removal only. I couldn't do forging even if I wanted to, I'm disabled from a work accident 15 years ago. I need crutches to walk and stand so swinging a hammer is a bit much. :)

rherrell

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

OK Frank, here you go...

IMG_9152.JPG
IMG_9153.JPG
IMG_9154.JPG
IMG_9155.JPG

To be honest, knives are WAY harder to make than I thought, at least for me. People like Tom Wolf Creek Knives have my utmost respect for their craftsmanship.

I envisioned making boatloads of knives like we do pens but that never happened. Like I said, way too much work to turn them out like pens. Now I only make them for friends that ask me.

I also made all the sheaths, I never made anything from leather in my life so that was another "hobby" I had to learn from scratch. It's a good thing I have a lot of time on my hands!

As it turns out I like crafting leather more than making knives...go figure!

Top Bottom