Shop Layout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

So I picked up an older Grizzly 2 hp, 220v collector and a very old (read that as 50 lbs of solid steel) 6" craftsman joiner for $300 yesterday. I'm pretty happy about that! The dc is in pristine shape, I'm pretty sure it has less than 20 hours on it, the bags are still bright white. So, need to start planning out my shop layout now that I have the last piece that I need.

I have used the Grizzly workshop planning software which is helpful but does anyone have other resources for sample layouts?

I really don't want to do this 3 times but I know its a possibility until I get the layout that works for me.
Thank you for your help!

I didn't use any computer aided set up model. I've always set my shop up with the things I use routinely close to my bench (s). I have three separate benches in my small shop (9' x 15') One bench is 2' wide by 6' long, I use it for leather work and pen assembly etc. and it has a small vise attached to it. One bench is 2' wide by 4' long and has my small lathe and pen press attached to it. It also has my lathe tools and some other stuff, but not much. My biggest bench, and heaviest, is my very first work bench. It's made from a full size sold core door that I was given it has a very beefy undercarriage. This is my all around bench and I use it for knife making, reloading and lots of other stuff. It has a very large Wilton vise on it that probably weighs close to 80lbs. All my benches have shelves that allow me to get more stuff under them that I use routinely. All of my benches have shelving above them that stores the stuff needed at each bench. I also have shelving on almost every wall in my shop and I have 9 1/2" walls. Over each bench is a 4' LED light on it's own switch. I also have LED swing lamps and some very small spot lights over each bench. To the left of my lathe/pen press bench I have by 6" x 48" belt/disc sander, next to that is my drill press and next to the drill press is my band saw. There is one 4' LED shop light over those and again, on their own switch. On my back wall I have my large lathe, jointer, shaper and scroll saw. My Makita planer is outside my shop as it's way too big to store inside the shop. Next to my leather bench is my table saw which is on wheels that lock so I can move it where needed. I have a small shop and for pen and knife making it works well. On bigger projects I need to take some tools outside the shop to do the work. But it work, easy to heat and is very comfortable. Long way to say that you should find ways to cut steps out of your daily work routine. Keep tools that you use a lot near by, those that only get occasional use should be stored but away from your most used tools. My old shop was 24' x 24' and what I found myself doing was spreading out which caused a lot of extra walking around plus constantly forgetting where I'd put stuff. I don't have that problem with my new shop. Enjoy setting up your shop and remember you can always change things around if needed.

PBorowick

I am working in a two car garage and I have those 20" deep gorilla racks on each side which makes it really hard to do a layout and keep a functional space. I'm thinking of sliding those over to one side to create an aisle and then use the rest for my shop. That would give me more walls to use and not try to keep things mobile to have access to the shelves.
I'm not too worried about moving things if needed but I would rather not have to rework my DC piping once it is installed if I can help it.
I will work it through tonight some more and see what options I have. I'm sure there are a lot if I put my mind to it.
Thanks for the advice on reducing the extra steps.

Top Bottom