Shop heat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bzahn

I have done very little this winter due to my shop (an old milk barn) doesn't get any warmer than the outside air. It's just been too cold most days and warm days I'm taking care of the farm. I did recently have a warm rainy day so I turned some pens and a pencil.

I am wondering, however, what is a suitable and safe method of warming the shop. I figure with the dust that flies around that anything with an open flame would be dangerous, and perhaps an electric burner might be as well. What do you recommend?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use a small electric space heater to warm the space around my lathe for comfortable turning when it's cold - works fine if the outside air isn't much below 40° - any lower than that, I just stay in the house. My shop walls are insulated, so that helps a lot.

InkyMike

I use a small electric space heater to warm the space around my lathe for comfortable turning when it's cold - works fine if the outside air isn't much below 40° - any lower than that, I just stay in the house. My shop walls are insulated, so that helps a lot.
I do the same thing. I put mine on a stool so it's about waist height. It's not the most ideal solution but it works.

I have a "hot dawg" heater in my shop. Today's high was -12 and it's been a lot colder. I keep mine set at 64 and it keeps my shop toasty warm. I think tomorrow's high is +14, a heat wave. I don't know what your electric and gas costs run but I can keep my shop and home at 68 for a month for around $135.00 with supplemental wood burning. The garage i keep at a constant 55. Electric is a lot less. I hope you find the solution you need to stay warm during the winter months.

PreacherJon

For a few years, I've used a Kerosene torpedo heater I have an all-concrete floor so I can give it enough space to burn. I like keeping the shop at 55 degrees in the winter... I'm comfy with that. This year we moved and I was expecting to use the already-mounted propane heater. But, it's not working and the 100-pound tank behind the garage had fallen over. The goal this summer is to get that puppy up and running for next winter. So, this year, the tried and true torpedo heater was used again. Kerosene here is $6.00 a gallon. I'd say I've spent about $90... to keep it heated while I'm in there. I might need to buy another 5 gallons if the cold re-emerges.

cl1237

I have an uninsulated one car block garage. This winter I started using a Mr Heater Tough Buddy propane heater rated at 9000 BTU. I was surprised at how well it worked. I generally keep it behind my work station and it helps to keep the chill off and make me comfortable. The heater takes 1 pound tanks, or the more cost effective method which I did was to get a filter and hose to attach to a 40 pound tank

derekdd

I insulated our garage, then had a subpanel put in as there was only enough electricity to run the garage door openers. I had the electrician directly wire a 220 electric electric heater with blower on the ceiling. It works great here in these north Wisconsin winters.

Top Bottom