Shop Fox w1704 HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenCasso

Does anyone on here have one? It's my first one and I've been pleased, but as I was turning a pen it just shut off. The fuse is good, the connection is good.

Did it give up the ghost and time to replace it?

What a deal!

PennCasso

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Before you go too far it would be wise to check the obvious. Start with power at the receptacle. Make sure this is working by either a meter or by at least plugging in another motor operated tool such as a drill motor. If it works well then move onto the chord. Does it look good condition and make sure it is plugged into receptacle securely. Next is the switch/ motor. Turn switch on and if motor does not work, try spinning the headstock portion to get to spin. Be careful in case it does start to spin up because then this will tell you the start capacitor has gone bad. If it does not then it is possible the switch is a problem and this could be because dust and dirt has gotten into the compartment. Many times a quick look and air compressor will blow dust out and clear contacts. Make sure you have lathe unplugged when working inside switch box. If you see no wires broken or have come off terminals then close back up and try switch on and off again. Playing with the switch can sometimes clean contacts enough to start again. Sometimes the contacts become dislodged and unless you have knowledge of how to take switch apart you maybe able to fix but most times a new switch is the way to go. The constant on and off breaks them down over time. Now these things are basic items to check on any lathe. If all else fails smell the motor and see if it smells like any burning. This means new motor.

I believe that is a clone or a sister of the Grizzly lathes so you may go that route to find parts. Good luck.

randyrls

Lee; Does the motor make a low pitched hum when turned on? PS, Don't leave the switch on. unless you are working on it. The motor will overheat if power is applied and the motor isn't spinning.

The power switch on lathes is NOT sealed, so dust gets into the switch and prevents it from making contact. Blow out the switch with compressed air.

The spin the spindle is a good test. Many motors have a "start" / "run" switch in the motor. the switch is normally closed when not running and cuts the start capacitor into the circuit. When the motor starts spinning the switch opens and the capacitor is taken out of the circuit.

PenCasso

Lee; Does the motor make a low pitched hum when turned on? PS, Don't leave the switch on. unless you are working on it. The motor will overheat if power is applied and the motor isn't spinning.

The power switch on lathes is NOT sealed, so dust gets into the switch and prevents it from making contact. Blow out the switch with compressed air.

The spin the spindle is a good test. Many motors have a "start" / "run" switch in the motor. the switch is normally closed when not running and cuts the start capacitor into the circuit. When the motor starts spinning the switch opens and the capacitor is taken out of the circuit.
It makes no noise at all, I've tried to make it spin and their is nothing. Does not smell burnt, the inside where all the wires etc are in, was not dirty.

I'm going to take it to Grizzly Tools in Springfield and see if one of their sales floor folks can see what the deal is.

I was looking for a reset button, but it don't have one. The troubleshooting instructions online for this machine, are terrible lol.

jttheclockman

A couple people had mentioned brushes to go along with my check list and yes this is also a possible cause and easy to check. Pull them out and look at condition and shape. Probably a spring on them also so maybe try stretching some to see if this makes contact now and if so then it would be wise to just change out. The troubling part of your statement is you were turning a pen when it just shut down. To me as I mentioned a few things came to mind and one was vibration shaking something loose and loosing power or voltage to lathe itself. This could be from loose wire or loose plug or breaker tripped. There looks to be a fuse on this lathe and it looks like it is in back of the control panel. May want to look at that also. Use a meter to check these. Sometimes the break is so close to the end cap you can not see it.Good luck. Try rotating the speed control knob too while starting.

Last edited:

PenCasso

Just placed and order and should get them soon.

I replaced the fuse and still didn't turn on. One measures 1/2 the other 3/8..

I'll keep y'all posted

Thank you so kindly!..

PennCasso

Attachments

• 20230508_132446.jpg
    20230508_132446.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 53

jttheclockman

Nothing happened, new fuse, new brushes.. So frustrating!!!!
I will say this a motor will not just stop working. If you do not smell burning than that motor did not burn up. I would look at speed controller or wiring inside. Speed controllers are known to fail. I assume you tried starting while going through the speed ranges with the knob. I am still leaning toward vibration being a cause. What were you doing when it stopped running exactly. ?

PenCasso

I will say this a motor will not just stop working. If you do not smell burning than that motor did not burn up. I would look at speed controller or wiring inside. Speed controllers are known to fail. I assume you tried starting while going through the speed ranges with the knob. I am still leaning toward vibration being a cause. What were you doing when it stopped running exactly. ?
I was turning a pen at 1400 -1500 RPMs and all of a sudden it just stopped. The tech guy from Grizzly told me to make sure all the wires inside are well connected and if they are to check if power is coming to the machine and out to the motor. I need to get a meter deal to do that.

I'm about to just give up, anyone live in Oklahoma lol.

I need to find a local person that can help and diagnose it.

He said it it's the circuit board that it would cost over $60. At that point, it's not worth it. Might as well get something with warranty lol.

This is my first machine and man I must be addicted to turning lol..

Thank you!

Last edited:

egnald

I was looking at a schematic for a SHOP FOX W1704 online and it looks like there is an external fuse which I assume is the one that you referred to. It also shows a remotely mounted circuit breaker that is wired into the control board.

I suppose the paddle switch could fail, not very likely though.
If the Fuse is good and the circuit breaker is not tripped, and the motor didn't smoke or anything, it is probably a component on the control board itself.

Dave

Shop Fox W1704 Diagram.JPG

PenCasso

Why me? Lol... y'all have been such a great help and I truly appreciate it. Well here are some pics of the inside of the power box.

Attachments

• 20230510_005431.jpg
    20230510_005431.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230510_005438.jpg
    20230510_005438.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230510_005445.jpg
    20230510_005445.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 56

PenCasso

I was looking at a schematic for a SHOP FOX W1704 online and it looks like there is an external fuse which I assume is the one that you referred to. It also shows a remotely mounted circuit breaker that is wired into the control board.

I suppose the paddle switch could fail, not very likely though.
If the Fuse is good and the circuit breaker is not tripped, and the motor didn't smoke or anything, it is probably a component on the control board itself.

Dave

View attachment 353642
How would I know if the circuit breaker tripped? Is their a reset button somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Thanks

monophoto

How would I know if the circuit breaker tripped? Is their a reset button somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Thanks
How old is this lathe? The instruction book posted on the Grizzly site do not show a circuit breaker in any of the pictures, and there is no reference a circuit breaker on the electrical diagram, but it is clearly marked as applying to machines made after 1/20. Dave posted a circuit diagram that shows a circuit breaker, and I also found an earlier (2013) version of the instructions on line that does show a breaker in the circuit diagram. The current instructions do mention a 'machine circuit breaker' as something to be checked if it isn't working properly. But none of the pictures show a reset button, and Lee reports that he can't find one,. None of the parts lists I've seen mention a circuit breaker as a stand-alone replaceable part, but it could be something incorporated onto the circuit board.

My first lathe was a Shop Fox 1704 that I purchased in 2011, and I found that the instructions were erroneous in several notable ways - the most obvious being that the specification published in the instructions for the spindle threading were totally wrong. That error was corrected in the 2013 version of the instructions, but the point is that my experience with Shop Fox lathes is that their instruction books aren't always reliable sources of information. I sold that lathe many years ago and no longer have any of the documentation that came with it, but I do vaguely recall a reset button.

As to what is the problem - the most obvious, and most easily corrected issue, is worn brushes, and the pictures Lee posted surely show that one of them is badly worn. But there could also be a problem on the circuit board, and unless you are an electronics wizard, the best solution to that would be to replace the entire control box.

jttheclockman

Have to say I did a google search for the instruction manual for this lathe and have to tell you just about every link I open had a virus or a security breach in it. I will pass on giving any more info on this lathe. Good luck. This in my opinion looks like a very low end lathe to begin with so it maybe just worth moving on a step up to a better lathe before spending too much money on it.

Saw this on ebay. Maybe a good thing to try
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2559300237...1291&msclkid=921b17f5b6f2188e069e73ae0235ba72

Last edited:

PenCasso

Have to say I did a google search for the instruction manual for this lathe and have to tell you just about every link I open had a virus or a security breach in it. I will pass on giving any more info on this lathe. Good luck. This in my opinion looks like a very low end lathe to begin with so it maybe just worth moving on a step up to a better lathe before spending too much money on it.

Saw this on ebay. Maybe a good thing to try
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2559300237...1291&msclkid=921b17f5b6f2188e069e73ae0235ba72
I seen that add also, I reached out the seller. Very much appreciated for your help.

Sincerely Thank You!

Darios

Thanks

I suspect he's referring to the circuit breaker at your house - there should be a panel somewhere with a bunch of, well, circuit breakers in them.
Likely looks something like this Check for any switches that are a little offset.
If you can't find it or it doesn't look like there's one tripped, a AC ground outlet tester is a cheap $5 $10 tool to check the outlet itself

jttheclockman

I suspect he's referring to the circuit breaker at your house - there should be a panel somewhere with a bunch of, well, circuit breakers in them.
Likely looks something like this Check for any switches that are a little offset.
If you can't find it or it doesn't look like there's one tripped, a AC ground outlet tester is a cheap $5 $10 tool to check the outlet itself
No he was referring to a so called circuit breaker within that circuit board diagram that was shown. If you look it says circuit breaker. Not sure what that would be especially when there is a power fuse already.

PenCasso

Just installed the new circuit board, the machine does turn, but I noticed the speed comes in and out. So in guessing it's the paddle that is not working properly... in ready to just chunk this thing and buy another one.. it was a pain to replace the stupid circuit board lol...

Top Bottom