Shock mounting a dust collector, got any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

Last night I set up my new HF mini-dust collector and used it for a while while I was sanding.

This morning on my front door I found a polite note from my downstairs neighbor (the apartment right below mine) saying that the vibration from whatever I was running last might measured 85db in his apartment.

Obviously this is not a good way for me to endear myself to my neighbors.

How might I go about shock-mounting a dust collector to reduce or eliminate the vibration? I live in a new building, meaning the insulation between apartments and floors is lousy. I need some sort of point solution for the dust collector itself. But all I'm envisioning right now is something on the lines of a frame of 2x4's with a web of bungee cord supporting the DC. Seems like there oughta be a better way. I'd appreciate an assist. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers Eileen [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Take the casters off the base.
Run carriage bolts up througha piecve of 3/4" plywood with a compression spring on it and then through the base of the DC.You will need to get bolts long enough for the ply, the springs with a little compression 2 nuts and some washers.Using a locking nut on the top.
Mount the original base to the ply/ bolt/ spring set up.
Put the casters back on the plywood.
The vibration will be absorbed by the springs.
Get a could of thick ceap pieces of carpeting and put the unit on that to dampen the sound even further.
If it is the usint with the 3" neck and the pillow case bag,you will need to upgrade the bag if you are in the same room as the DC.

wudnhed

Jim, it's usually people who like to complain! I hope I'm wrong for Eileen's sake. Wish I could be of some help Eileen but unfortunately I can't. Good Luck!

carverken

Miss Eileen, I have a question for you. Is the noise they are complaining about the vibration of the motor or the sound of the fan blowing the air. I have the jet 650 1hp and it sounds prety loud. the noise is from the air movement not the vibration of the motor. Just a question [:(]

Draken

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Who has a sound level meter in their apartment!?!?!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Eileen!

Most people who are serious into home theater have one for proper speaker setup. Ok, I admit it, I have one. [:I]

Cheers,
Draken

Fangar

I would think that your neighbor is not going to be happy with anything you might do. You could likely get rid of the vibration with some form of clever mount, however, the HF unit is not the most quiet. He has never complained before this? I sure hope you get it worked out. Turning in an apartment would be tough for sure.

Fangar

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eileen,

Let's see: Your neighbor has a sound meter
Draken has a sound meter

You sign "Cheers"
Draken signs "Cheers"

Therefore, you are your neighbor and "Draken" is your pseudonym.

GOTCHA!!![:D][:D]

TBone

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Eileen,

Let's see: Your neighbor has a sound meter
Draken has a sound meter

You sign "Cheers"
Draken signs "Cheers"

Therefore, you are your neighbor and "Draken" is your pseudonym.

GOTCHA!!![:D][:D]

Maybe Draken is her neighbor!!! [:D]

emackrell

Well, further to the above, I discussed the issue at length with my neighbor tonight. It was indeed the vibration that was driving him nutso. I think I had inadvertently added to the problem with my jury-rig experimental setup, as I had hung the lathe hood from a spring-fit metal curtain rod pressed in place in my walk-in closet-cum-workshop. Naturally the metal curtain rod picked up the noise of the DC running, and the chintzo building helped me out by transmitting and amplifying every decibel to the floor below.

So... I will try the spring mounting Eagle suggested, and perhaps add a few layers of carpet while I'm at it. Or mattresses, or something. And maybe make one of those little freestanding hood mounts that Fangar showed off a few months ago.

Either that, or give up and just go buy a house with a garage.... [;)]

Thanks for all the suggestions!

cheers Eileen [8D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by emackrell
<br />

Either that, or give up and just go buy a house with a garage.... [;)]

Standing at attention and giving a crisp salute, this former Captain (O3) says.

"Ma'am, yes Ma'am!

A house with a garage is the best idea."

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />You could use electro-magnetic levitating technology. Here is an example: http://www.1worldglobes.com/Specialty/levitatingglobebrowngold.htm [:D]

Yes, but how is she going to produce the 1.21 gigawatt's of electricity needed to power the flux capacitor?

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />You could use electro-magnetic levitating technology. Here is an example: http://www.1worldglobes.com/Specialty/levitatingglobebrowngold.htm [:D]

Yes, but how is she going to produce the 1.21 gigawatt's of electricity needed to power the flux capacitor?

I got it!

She can make up this big HUGE extension cord and stretch it to the Navy yard in Norfolk; Then she can plug it into one of them thar Nuke-Lee-Are boats (they hate it when toy call their toys boats )[;)]
then she'll have enough power to run the death ray and...............

Dang, Maybe I should have taken only one Thorazine this morning. [^]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />
<br />

I got it!

She can make up this big HUGE extension cord and stretch it to the Navy yard in Norfolk; Then she can plug it into one of them thar Nuke-Lee-Are boats (they hate it when toy call their toys boats )[;)]
then she'll have enough power to run the death ray and...............

Dang, Maybe I should have taken only one Thorazine this morning. [^]
It would be easier to put the lathe on the ship.
I'll bet if the ship were in dry dock the propeller would make a heck of an impeller for the DC.

fiferb

I'll bet if the ship were in dry dock the propeller would make a heck of an impeller for the DC.
The heck with that, take the propeller off and you have the worlds largest lathe. You could turn a bowl the size of a house!

emackrell

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Eileen-
You are taking notes, right?

Oh, copiously [;)]

I'm thinking the nuclear assisted levitating technology offers the best option. If I can hook up to one of the Norfolk CVNs the power won't be a problem. No need for an extension cord, they can just send me the electricity via a wifi link (kinda like faxing you some more paper for your fax machine).

something like....

20061214153853_levdc.jpg
<br />

That's what I love about this forum... no shortage of either good ideas or good humor! Thanks all, will let you know how it all comes out.

cheers Eileen [8D]

esheffield

Originally posted by emackrell

I'm thinking the nuclear assisted levitating technology offers the best option. If I can hook up to one of the Norfolk CVNs the power won't be a problem. No need for an extension cord, they can just send me the electricity via a wifi link (kinda like faxing you some more paper for your fax machine).

Wireless power isn't that far-fetched. Nikola Tesla wanted to do exactly that: http://amasci.com/tesla/tesceive.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom