Shipping oversea question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy
Two questions

what involved in shipping oversea? Say to England.
Why do companies/folks say they they dont ship oversea ?

I went to the post office site and it looks like there's one custom form to fill out. Is that correct ?

Or is it more complicated and thats why folks dont ship

thanks.....pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I believe it depends on the size of the package and value.
I shipper a blank to Australia and had no problems USPS>
Insurance wasn't possible that way though.

Paul in OKC

Hey Pete, I have shipped to Australia and to the UK (Scotland). there is one form to fill out. Not too bad. I think there is a duty fee or something on stuff when they get it over there. May be the bigger issue. How about it some of you that have recieved goods from 'this side'. There are two ways to ship, one no insurance is available. Don't remember what the other is called for sure, but has some insurance automatically, though only about $60-ish.

kent4Him

I shipped to Australia and Isreal during the last group buy. It was a little pain, mostly because I didn't know what to do and the USPS web site did not help much. There is a small form that you need to fill out and insurance rates are pretty high. Once you do it once, you'll have a better idea.

Rifleman1776

When I sell on eBay, I absolutely refuse to sell overseas. Shipping is only one problem, funds exchange can be difficult and, sadly, I have encountered scammers (buyers and sellers) so frequently I just stay away from that type of commerce. However, soon, I may be sending some wood to Japan and will find out about rates from that. It will be a trade with a friend so those other problems won't come up.

JimGo

I've shipped stuff to Canada and Australia, and international shipping can be a pain if it's going to be insured. You can purchase postage for an uninsured package online, print off the shipping label and postage, and toss it in the mail. But as soon as you get insurance involved, everything changes - you have to go to the post office, wait in line, argue with them, etc., and that can be time consuming.

Dario

There is also a weight limit...after that, you have to go to the post office so they can stamp and initial it there.

One time, I mailed some blanks in the flat rate international envelope. It came back because of that (Not signed and date stamped). Another time someone missed the custom declaration because it is on the other side. That made my trip to the PO double for each since I dropped them there the first time.

Some shipping options are not insurable....if you want the item insured, the base postage will cost a lot more plus insurance.

For me the wait is the biggest problem. I don't want to ship somthing and have to wait a month before I can confirm that it arrived. I want to ship now and forget it after a week (or 10 days at most).

Tom McMillan

I ship my miniatures overseas---have shipped to UK, Australia, & a lot to Canada. I've used the same small customs form---at the top I mark Other, I give a brief description and value, show it Made in the USA, fill in sender's & addressee's name & address, sign and date. I ship all my items by Air Letter Post since they're all lightweight and I don't offer insurance.

pete00

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />When I sell on eBay, I absolutely refuse to sell overseas. Shipping is only one problem, funds exchange can be difficult and, sadly, I have encountered scammers (buyers and sellers) so frequently I just stay away from that type of commerce. However, soon, I may be sending some wood to Japan and will find out about rates from that. It will be a trade with a friend so those other problems won't come up.

Frank

Do you wait to get your money before you ship or do you ship then get money. Not sure i under stand the funds exchange problem.

thanks

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think that one reason is that if there is a mix up, then it is much more costly to rectify. I ordered a few woodworking items from a very reputable company and they included two of one item and left the other out. They were courteous and resent the missed order; another time a part was lost when customs opened the package (in my opinion). Making up for this in both cases costs twice as much postage which eat into profits. I don't like it that BB does not ship over here, but I do not blame him one bit.

Add the cost of postage lost to what Frank and Jim said - and if a small company is making just enough to get by, then you can eat into profits quick with these additional problems.

I appreciate those that do ship overseas but do not hold it against those that don't. If I need something bad enough I will have it shipped to my USA address and have a daughter ship it to me here.

Another problem is irate customers. In the States, a company does have the option of two or three day shipping at a decent price to make up for a problem, but to do that for overseas runs into more money than it would be worth. Hence a more irate customer. And Irate customers are out there! [;)]

Tangboy5000

Doesn't bother me one bit to ship overseas, but that's mainly because I go to the main post office, where the cream of the crop are stationed. Fill out the little form. Gift, check. Value, $10 check. And off it goes. Air letter post goes pretty quick, but there is a 5 lb. limit. Overseas via CC is great, overseas with PayPal stinks. The fees for currency conversion are terrible. You should already be in the habit of waiting for payments to clear before shipping anyway, and it doesn't take any longer for an overseas payment to clear.

Paul in OKC

I am fortunate to have a small PO branch close to the shop where I work. Good people there and very helpful in these things. The folks there are so good and nice that they have mailed me my receipts on two occassions when I left them there!

Pete,
Shipping overseas isn't really a big deal for the individual... small shipments like a pen or blanks... you can ship via the usps upto about 40 lbs parcel post... just fill out the one customs form... if you are shipping to an individual.

A commercial shipment is a little more complicated... you have to have a commercial invoice, and packing list... they can be the same document, but will be required for customs in the destination country.

If your shipment is valued at $2500 or more, you will be required to fill out the Shippers Export Declaration... meaning you will need to show the items shipped, and the Schedule "B" numbers from the export regulations.

and in some cases, woods can be banned in the country of destination... usually not in small quantities, but you can have some problems with any of them... in some cases you may have to provide a Phytosanitary Certificate for the woods, especially raw woods.

Then there is the money conversion problems already mentioned.

And as mentioned if you do have a problem and the materials must be sent back, the destination country will have a slew of regulations that don't apply in the USA and the customer will have to reverse the process, you will have to clear customs on the returned items... as American Goods Returned, won't be any duties, but can be a pain..
and in some cases, the foreign regulations can prevent the items from being sent back.. especially if there is some kind of ban on wood products as there are in many countries.

I had one occasion where I shipped a crate to Brazil, the item was received in Brazil and cleared through customs there as the item on the packing list, but my warehouse had pulled the wrong crate to ship, mis-marked it, and because it was cleared into Brazilian economy as a motor or pump, but was in fact a battery, we could not retrieve the battery, and still had to reship the motor... which had multiple problems in Brazil customs again because the items had already been cleared into the country and now we were trying to clear the same item on another shipment.. long and short of it was that my company out over $2000, plus we had to replace the battery that we shipped wrong to start with.

BigRob777

Well, there's also another problem. I've shipped to Australia, Canada, France, England and Scotland and have only run into this in Canada. If you ship with UPS, they charge a huge fee once it gets there. I've never had to deal with this, as my first Canadian customer warned me about it. Absolutely, ship via USPS and use flatrate if you can. They only have envelopes and the weight limit is 4 pounds. It costs between $7.50 and $9.50 for the places I mentioned. Also, if you list the value high, they'll charge a tax to your customer.

If you use flatrate envelopes (Global Priority Mail), you use the green customs form. If you ship more than 4 pounds, or in a bigger box that isn't flatrate, you use a white form. It's a hastle to be sure, but people are worth it. I just found out what Jim said, that you can do a "click-n-ship" overseas too, but I didn't know you couldn't use insurance. That makes sense of course. It's something of a beurocratic nightmare at times, but once you get used to it, it isn't bad.

I'm shipping to France in two days, flatrate, no insurance. I'm doing my first overseas click-n-ship package. You can also order supplies for shipping from the USPS free and can buy stamps online also.

Good luck. It gets easier with time. Oh yeah, if you think about it, any store waits for payment before the product leaves the premesis. I used to feel funny waiting for a check to arrive, and I don't always do it, if I know the person. People don't expect you to ship, until you get payment anyway. It's just good business policy, unless you know the person well and there's a good reason. Paypal is fast, so there's usually isn't much reason to request goods before you pay for it with paypal. There are sometimes exceptions. A friend recently made a very large purchase and I offered to take two payments. He's a friend, so I shipped before the 2nd payment arrived.

Feel free to e-mail me, if you have other questions.

Rob

btboone

We ship our lightweight rings overseas by Global Express in a Tyvek pouch for $23. That covers it for most countries. We also offer FedEx International for $50, which covers most countries, but some of the out of the way ones like South Africa end up costing over $110.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have shipped cactus blanks to Canada, France, England, and Australia without any problems. I use the USPS Global Priority Mail and do it all with click-n-ship online. Not a problem at all and the froms get all filled out and printed on my printer. I do have to take them to the P.O. most of the time, though. It is really quite easy once you have done it once.

Pete,
I had to ship my PITH pen to England... I did just what you said.. went to the post office and filled a very short form for customs and sent it off.. shipping such small shipments as a pen or other small turning now and then isn't really any problem, other than having to go physically to the post office. You really shouldn't have any major problems.
Just be sure that you make it clear in your sale that customs and customs fees at the destination country are for the account of the buyer... some countries can get really carried away with some of those fees.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all, just my two cents worth, from the UK side.
Because of the poor kits we get here, I ordered some from CSUSA. I had them TWO days later !! The service was great. However, The CSUSA total price included shipping and some tax, but when it got here I had to pay import tax and another handling fee from DHL. In the end, I spent $200 on the pens and blanks but eventually paid almost $400 with all the fees.

I think it was because it came from a registered company and they had to declare it or something. If I get more stuff, I'll get a colleague from our USA branch to post them.

pete00

well Skiprat post brings up another question in my mind.

Assuming his comment is correct
"I think it was because it came from a registered company and they had to declare it or something. If I get more stuff, I'll get a colleague from our USA branch to post them."

How come one of our "resellers" here dont buy some goodies for our UK friends and ship it.
Wouldnt it be cheaper for them,

Why wouldnt it work if we added a "handleling/shipping/aggravation or help pay for the BMW" charge. We make a couple bucks and he saves a couple bucks.

BUT of course there must be something im missing ......AGAIN ..lol

....shippingly challanged pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom