Shaving Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RobS

RobS

This is a work in progress. I will contiune to add to the thread as I progress likely over the next 2 months, since I still have to order handles and decide on a stand.

liljohn1368 volunteered to accept my commission to pour a diameter 4.37" bowl blank by 4" high, 2"x4" brush blank and .75" handle blanks. As you can see from the photo below, these babies are looking good.

View in Gallery

I already purchased and recieved from the Golden Nib my 30mm silvertip badger brush knots (30mm Silvertip Grade A badger knot) I figured go big or go home.

I also ordered and received in a Freud FC-009 1-1/4-Inch by 3/8-Inch Shank Carbide Forstner Drill Bit for the brush. Following what everyone has been posting about buying a bit 2mm larger than the knot. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RK5D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Wish me luck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

How to make a Shaving bowl using liljohn1368 blank, blue steel

Ok this is a work in progress. Shaving Bowl blank by liljohn1368. Tool rest by member Rherrell, which helped a lot, to get tool support inside the bowl. I probably reset the tool rest every 2-3 min to support the tool to prevent chip out. All tools used were carbide by member Hanau, specifically the diamond detailer, the square, and the small and large round. Additionally the Robert Sorby Parting Tool was used to separate the halves, notice I put about 4 layers of tape on the tool post to protect the parting tools fluted underside.

I tried to take enough pictures to demonstrate most of the steps.
Please note before parting, I un-chucked it and made sure the lid would fit in the jaws, then I flipped it back around.

You will notice that I use blue tape to indicate where I want to part, to make it easier to see.

I used a carbide freud 1.25 forstner, and ran it at ~160rpm and feed it slow.

I probably held my breath way too many times, so I was exhausted by the end of the 3 hrs. I also stopped and vacuumed once every 20 min, until I came up with a vacuum hose placement that helped. I also had to clear the inlet to the actual dust collect about once every 20min, since I am using the smaller size hose and not the 4", the ribbons clump together.

I also kept a soap puck on hand to test fit the one I had was 3.39" in diameter, but was not a perfect circle, so I bumped up the diameter slightly.

I'll post more next weekend, god willing. Still need to sand and polish the bowl and start the lid. FYI this is my first bowl ever, and the shaving brush was also my first ever, so I'm GOING SLOW.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Top Bottom