Sharpening tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Guthriecb

Has anyone used the PSI sharpening system?

If so, how do you like it? Is it worth it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have several sharpening systems and prefer CBN wheels, plus I hone the just sharpened edge with micro fine sandpaper (lowest .3 micron) on glass plate.

That PSI set up will work great, but do a research on honing a fine edge. That makes it even better.

While I have carbide insert cutters, they still are not up to the fineness of HSS sharpness of experienced sharpeners, I do recommend carbide insert tools for people just starting out, but I commend you for looking at sharpeners. Great turners of pens, bowls and spindles value the sharpening process and sharp tools.

One more comment - once proficient with sharpening, sanding is quite often needed less and less in proportion to the sharpness of the tool.

Guthriecb

Guthriecb

I have several sharpening systems and prefer CBN wheels, plus I hone the just sharpened edge with micro fine sandpaper (lowest .3 micron) on glass plate.

That PSI set up will work great, but do a research on honing a fine edge. That makes it even better.

While I have carbide insert cutters, they still are not up to the fineness of HSS sharpness of experienced sharpeners, I do recommend carbide insert tools for people just starting out, but I commend you for looking at sharpeners. Great turners of pens, bowls and spindles value the sharpening process and sharp tools.

One more comment - once proficient with sharpening, sanding is quite often needed less and less in proportion to the sharpness of the tool.

Thanks Hank. I think I'm leaning towards this system with a little honing afterwards. I have a nice set of Norton H2O stones I use to hone my knives and straight razors. Do you think those will be good for turning chisels as well?

WriteON

I considered the PSI but decided to get the Sorby. The PSI might be ok after developing a Touch. I guess it depends on what is being sharpened.

bsshog40

I considered the PSI but decided to get the Sorby. The PSI might be ok after developing a Touch. I guess it depends on what is being sharpened.
I have the sorby system also. Love it. I recently bought the knife sharpening jig for it. That works great also.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Hank. I think I'm leaning towards this system with a little honing afterwards. I have a nice set of Norton H2O stones I use to hone my knives and straight razors. Do you think those will be good for turning chisels as well?

I may be misreading your question. CBN wheels for sharpening turning chisels - only if the chisels are HSS and not mild steel. CBN is for HSS, not mild/soft steel or carbide.

Using the Norton H20 stones: Yes they will do very well for your turning chisels. (Reading between the lines - You have a good knowledge of shaping, sharpening and honing.) I have some Japanese water stones and use them on occasion. I actually use them for fine sharpening and even honing, but I got my tools into shape with the CBN wheels. CBN wheels are fairly quick at shaping and sharpening HSS tools without getting them extremely hot on the edges.

Some CBN reading:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/cbn-wheel-question-s-147589/

I have the PSI system. It is worth the money for what you get. Basically a sanding disc with a small v-shaped holder for tools. Not very accurate, but handy to have a sanding disc on the lathe most of the time.

Woodchipper

Plywood, screws, washers, nuts and a faceplate. For squaring wood, PVC, etc. I do have a Rikon low speed grinder and the Wolverine attachments.

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_145827645.jpg
    IMG_20180203_145827645.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom