Shark Vertebrae on a Zen Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

This is nothing very fancy, but I thought I'd make a pen for my Physical Therapist for all the good work she is doing helping me with my Sciatica pain. The blank is shark vertebrae cast in dark purple polyacrylic mounted on a Zen pen kit. It makes a nice-looking pen with a bit of a story that should be appropriate for the work she does. The one thing I've found about the shark vertebrae blanks is that they need to be used with a kit that has a larger barrel. If you use a kit with a small diameter barrel, you end up turning off most of the vertebrae and it looks like polyacrylic with bits of white stuff in it.

Attachments

• Shark vertebrae on Zen Pen.JPG
    Shark vertebrae on Zen Pen.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 93
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I love pens with a message. I made a pen from oosik (walrus penis bone) for my urologist years ago. I thought it was appropriate, but he wasn't impressed.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 60
  • cigaroosik.jpg
    cigaroosik.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 58

Jim Smith

I love pens with a message. I made a pen from oosik (walrus penis bone) for my urologist years ago. I thought it was appropriate, but he wasn't impressed.
I'll bet that the Walrus wasn't all that impressed either;) That said, you did an excellent job using an interesting blank with the best intentions. Some people are a bit squeamish about using materials from animals. I enjoy making pens from snakeskin blanks and some people are creeped out while others find them beautiful.

qquake

I'll bet that the Walrus wasn't all that impressed either;) That said, you did an excellent job using an interesting blank with the best intentions. Some people are a bit squeamish about using materials from animals. I enjoy making pens from snakeskin blanks and some people are creeped out while others find them beautiful.
When I gave it to the urologist and told him what it was, he got the weirdest look on his face. He took it from me very gingerly. It was pretty funny, actually. I told my dentist at the time about it, and he thought it was the coolest thing ever. I took in a leftover piece of the oosik, and he took it around to everyone in the office telling them what it was.

Top Bottom