Sewing machine motor for bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I have been researching options for modifying my 14" bandsaw to allow for both wood and metal cutting. Blade speed is the primary issue, with the wood cutting saws running about 20 to 30X faster than their metal cutting siblings. Most of the "conversions" I have found use various mechanical devices (gearbox, changes to wheel diameters, etc) to reduce the blade speed. This often results in a saw that is decent for metal cutting, but requires significant effort to change back to wood cutting capable. The "treadmill motor" option seems like a decent idea, but seems a little more involved than I'd want to get (the wiring to get the treadmill controller functioning properly, that is). Then I came across the sewing machine brushless servo motors with controllers ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-EA-7...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0 ). These seem like pretty decent motors, and they should supply enough torque at the necessary speeds to do both metal and wood cutting with the push of a button. I'm curious if anyone here has experience with these motors and any things I should look out for. They also seem like a decent option for VS upgrade on a small lathe - something I might also consider for my Jet 1013 belt drive lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Sam, I'm sorry to say so, but, I've got my doubts, that a sewing machine motor has enough power for what you hope to accomplish. Maybe, and that's just maybe you'd have better luck with a motor from a treadmill. Either way, I think that you are in for a bunch of headaches.

Len

Dehn0045

Sam, I'm sorry to say so, but, I've got my doubts, that a sewing machine motor has enough power for what you hope to accomplish. Maybe, and that's just maybe you'd have better luck with a motor from a treadmill. Either way, I think that you are in for a bunch of headaches.

Len
Yeah, based on specs the sewing machine motors should have plenty of power but... I found several commenters that used the motors for various things like lathes, drill press, or mini mill, and based on the comments suggested that power was as good or better than the previously installed motors with similar horsepower rating. But these comments lack details. My bandsaw has the smaller 1/2hp motor, which I think is original from the early 80s, so its power isn't exactly great in the current state. I considered a 2:1 speed reduction versus the current wheels since this would be pretty easy and would increase torque, max speed would be reduced but most of these sewing machine motors are 2x top speed of my current motor -- really I would have no reason to increase max speed beyond my current motor. One other concern that I have is whether these motors are sensitive to dust or debris.

dogcatcher

Servo sewing machine motors are not the same motor that is on your mother's sewing machines. These are industrial sewing machine motors rate in horsepower from 1/4 to 1 plus HP.

The problem is they lose power at the lower speeds. There is a person on eBay that sells a mod kit to use them on lathes and other equipment. I have no experience with his equipment.

My old Delta 46-111 is powered by a Servo motor, reverse, forward, slow and faster that I need. Slow speeds suffer power loss. I did the mods myself about 8 years ago. The motor I have is no longer available so I am no help there. Besides I had no clue what I did when it was all over with.

On some of the home machinists sites there is some help, The Taig owners Facebook group has the best info.

Paul in OKC

I have scavenged a tread mill motor to put on my old Craftsman band saw. I took a lot of pics of the connections before I took it apart. I have since put it together on the floor and hooked it up to test, just need to do the swap.

Dehn0045

@dogcatcher my understanding is that the brushless types have good torque at low speed. I know there are some available that are "brushed" type, which are low torque at low speeds (maybe yours is a brushed type?). I have a 1500w BLDC motor on my metal lathe that puts out incredible torque at barely above zero rpm, so I figure if the 750w sewing machine motors are on the order of 1/2 as powerful as my lathe then they will have more than enough for my bandsaw. Anyway, that's a lot of words to say that I really don't know if it will have enough torque, lol. Thanks for the comments and suggested resources -- one of the reviews that I found was for a Taig Micro Mill conversion, so maybe I will see what I can find on their forums.

Curly

That motor is outside my experience level but for $165 for a motor and controller I think it is well worth a shot. If it is too small for the bandsaw then it will be enough for the lathe. If it doesn't work out it lands on the shelf with all the other tools that failed to live up to their hype that we fall for. I know people spending that on dinner for two or beer for the month.

jttheclockman

Have no idea and to me that is alot of work for what?? Do you really need this or just a project you want to try. I use a metal blade on my bandsaw and do not slow speed down. For what I cut not worth the effort. If I cut metal sheets I will break out other saws designed to do that such as the jig saw or reciprocating saw, or even the scrollsaw..

Why not buy a metal cutting bandsaw?? Or a combination one and have an excuse for new toy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html

Last edited:

Mach4

I just fabricated a cab machine and used a 2.5hp treadmill motor I got for $7.50 at the local scrap yard (virtually brand new). Since it was a bare motor with no controller I used a 4000w SCR motor controller sourced on Amazon for $14. This controls AC voltage so I fed it through a 50amp bridge rectifier to get DC (about $5). One mod is needed on the SCR controller and that is to replace the 400 ohm potentiometer with a 200ohm one to get better speed control. I also added a Hall effect tachometer to be able to dial in and monitor the correct speed for each application ($15). One advantage to this setup over the treadmill controller is it "remembers" the previous speed setting so just flip the switch to start (with the treadmill controller it resets to zero each time).

just a thought for your project….

SteveG

If economy is what drives this effort, and since the various approaches all involve a degree of redesign and work-up, why not try to find an older, quality tool that no longer works. Buy cheap and rebuild a tool that was originally designed to do the desired task?

Dehn0045

@jttheclockman I agree that a saw designed for the purpose of cutting metal is probably the sensible approach. I recently saw a Klutch brand one similar to the one you linked for $150 in a lightly used condition. The problem not really being the machine or the cost, but rather the space in what I consider my shop area. Some day I hope to have a lot more space to occupy with my hobby, but for now I have what is effectively a 1 car garage.
Also, I have heard that the tables on those machines are lacking. I considered a portable unit with a table attachment that I could stow away when not using, but not super thrilled about that idea. I'd say about 80% of my desire to do this type of project is to find a novel/elegant/cost effective solution to a problem that I'm interested in, and 20% is actually for additional functional use of the tool. Realistically none of my tools are "needs", so it's kind of hard to look at it from that angle.

@Mach4 you lost me at 'bridge rectifier', lol. I'm sure that the treadmill option is probably cheaper, but I just don't want to spend the kind of time necessary to learn all of those details.

@SteveG maybe someday a 17" Doall rebuild would be fun, but I'm really looking for a dual purpose machine due to the space constraint. The 14" delta bandsaws were originally made with a transmission for dual speed, and as far as I know there is nothing different about the saw otherwise, only problem is that I've never seen one for sale.

Top Bottom