Sell Me A Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I think we all have seen the ads or at times sales lessons that start with Sell Me This Pen. Well with many people here making pens and possibly selling pens, why not discuss the methods used in selling pens. Not going to get into prices of your pens but you can make references to them if you choose. Maybe when all said and done there will come out of this exercise some notes for your next pen sales. Maybe someone new just getting into the hobby wants to make a few bucks and continue expanding their pen making skills and wants to sell a few. Now there are hundreds of methods and valuable lessons out there and I am sure plenty of videos that can help. My goal here is to take some of these ideas and place them in a thread that can be searched in the future for sellers of their wares. Now these ideas are definitely not limited to pens and in fact they can be applied to anything you want to sell but can also help when buying too. They can give you an idea of what a good salesperson sounds like and be ready to answer questions if asked.

Now also I won't go into the where to sell your pens or to whom to sell to. These are discussions for another thread all by itself. We all know the old adage LOCATION< LOCATION< LOCATION plays a huge role. Types of venues also plays a huge role. Type of crowd and so forth but again that is not what this is about.

I will start and give some ideas that I use and they are the same no matter what venue or show I am selling in. I will say this that I have been selling at shows for about 40 years and started and still sell scrollsawn and handmade wooden items. I incorporated pens about 15 years or so ago. Always the first approach, and you learn very fast the more shows you do, who you can talk to and who just want to be left alone. But all are approachable in some manner. I try never to be that pushy drive hard at a sale person. I strike up a conversation. I always mention that if they have any questions at anything they are seeing I am here to answer them. If they need help and or want to see something I have on a shelf or a wall just ask and I will retrieve it for them. If they are responsive I will start my sales pitch in a way of explaining that everything is handmade and what woods are used. if this takes off and there is a back and forth conversation then I go deeper. I explain my warrenty policy. I explain what the item would look best on or how to use it. If it is a clock I explain how to change batteries and so forth. Now when I introduced pens I had to add a little more gab lines because a pen is something that everyone has used in the past and probably still are. So I will start with asking a few questions as to find out if they know anything about the type pens they are holding. Maybe ask if they ever used a highend pen and written with one and let them try them as there is always paper there to do so. I then go into a little story telling as to what they are looking at and what makes the pen special. I may show them various pens in the themes or different woods or acrylics depending what they picked up first because that usually is what caught their eye right away. All the time remembering they are looking at items that are impulse buys and not needs. You try to put them in a place that helps with that impulse and give positive vibes of why they want that item. You get into the feel of the pen and the weight and how the refill writes. If they are looking at real highend pens you mention they are basically that special pen that is a one of a kind. most people use them as desk pens. You mention it comes with a highend display box. All the same time you must be confident in what you are telling them and just be friendly.

So lets hear what you all have to say and your approach to sell your pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

I start off by asking people what they like to write with. Everyone writes but not everyone knows what they like to write with.

I have a ballpoint, rollerball, and fountain pen sitting on my display table with nice copy paper on a clipboard. If I can get them to write with one or two of the pens, I can get them to commit to liking a particular style. From there, I ask about color vs wood, size, etc., to help narrow down their preference.

I will confess I'm not going into hard sell mode at that point. I had a car sales job as a 20 something I hated and refuse to do that sort of thing again.

MedWoodWorx

Where i live there are no craft shows, i have to visit Athens for instance to find one. I drop my pens for sale at a friends jewellery/ gift shop and he gets a part of the sale.
Even if i had the opportunity of a craft show/ bazaar i wouldn't offer pens but bowls and other utilitarian (and big) stuff. I believe that a pen is "lost" when put among others on a stand. Maybe i am wrong, just my opinion on this, cheers.

calabrese55

I am sorry I just could not resist this just jumped into my head............ P. T. Barnum selling a pen to a lady

Yes mam this is the finest pen on the planet. It has perfect balance....represented by elegant style that proudly disguises the state of the art mechanics within that prove that beauty such as that radiating from you dear lady is not just skin deep.
When you reach for this pen it will send a message to all your friends that you have arrived from a journey they can only dream of beginning. The finest writing papers and biggest contracts will swoon at the opportunity to be marked by the blue blood that flows like silk from within. Mam this truly is a once in a life time opportunity to own this pen, a pen for the ages. Best of all today of all days it the one day of this century that we have decided to reduce the price to own this pen by fifty percent and we will even let you use this remarkable pen to write us a check.

calabrese55

frankonthetis

Living on an island reached via ferry or private boat we have a summer market each Saturday from May through Labour Day in September. Lots of recreational boaters as well as summer camps brings people through our market as well as permanent and summer only residents. All my pens/pencils/seam rippers/ mini scissor/aromatherapy necklace/bowls etc are made from local wood from our island. Most people buying are looking for memento's of their visit/holiday and/or gifts. Promoting the fact that the item they are purchasing is a "local" wood such as, arbutus, maple, wild rose, rhododendron, cascara, osoberry, ceanothus gives the buyer options.

jttheclockman

Where i live there are no craft shows, i have to visit Athens for instance to find one. I drop my pens for sale at a friends jewellery/ gift shop and he gets a part of the sale.
Even if i had the opportunity of a craft show/ bazaar i wouldn't offer pens but bowls and other utilitarian (and big) stuff. I believe that a pen is "lost" when put among others on a stand. Maybe i am wrong, just my opinion on this, cheers.
Interesting perspective. I will put my thoughts on this comment and say just as you, this is my opinion. I do not make bowls and could never wrap my head around the why to make them other than a decoration and then I lean to segmented bowls and think that is where that theme shines. As I do with my scrollsawn baskets and so called bowls, they are decorations more than utilitarian. So I see more people having a use for a pen than a bowl.

Top Bottom