Segmenting angles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Aces-High

Aces-High

I wanted to do some proof of concept before using good wood. Here is my first go round.

20191012_234227.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Jason. I have a question or two. Are you adding a piece of black something next to what I presume is aluminum?? What is it that you are trying to do?? If you are attempting severe angles with a sharp bend it will be very tough to do. If that is just black epoxy then you need a thicker piece of aluminum. But there are a few tricks. You can start with aluminum angle bent to 90 degrees and either use that for an angle or start with a flat piece and bend the angle you wish. What I suggest to help with the bending is to first score a straight line with a razor knife where you want to bend. Use a vice to hold the piece and use a pair of tinknocker pliers to make your bend . Or use two pair of pliers. You need a sturdy and sharp tool to hold the piece flat across.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...9456&msclkid=6dc63badbf851237fac0660e2ecf1b1e

Have to say none of the bends you shown would pass my eye test. Sorry.

jttheclockman

I should have added that it is easier to bend against the grain lines than with them. Aluminum has a grain just like wood does. So be aware of this as you try to bend these angles. If you are bending real thick aluminum then the score line I speak of needs to be wider and deeper to relieve some of the stress as you bend. Now you can not work back and forth because this will weaken and cause to break. Good luck.

Aces-High

Hello Jason. I have a question or two. Are you adding a piece of black something next to what I presume is aluminum?? What is it that you are trying to do?? If you are attempting severe angles with a sharp bend it will be very tough to do. If that is just black epoxy then you need a thicker piece of aluminum. But there are a few tricks. You can start with aluminum angle bent to 90 degrees and either use that for an angle or start with a flat piece and bend the angle you wish. What I suggest to help with the bending is to first score a straight line with a razor knife where you want to bend. Use a vice to hold the piece and use a pair of tinknocker pliers to make your bend . Or use two pair of pliers. You need a sturdy and sharp tool to hold the piece flat across.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665771_200665771?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Hand Tools > Wrenches&utm_campaign=Klutch&utm_content=49456&msclkid=6dc63badbf851237fac0660e2ecf1b1e

Have to say none of the bends you shown would pass my eye test. Sorry.

Thanks for your response, and ideas. The point of the angles are not suppose to be what I would call sharp on these, since it is all in one piece. The point of this is not the aluminum, but the one piece angled peices that are usually two peices. I know that if someone is use to seeing acute angles in a Gisi blank this will possibly look off.

Aces-High

I made this jig to try and make a similar blank, never was happy with results though. View attachment 226710View attachment 226711View attachment 226712

Thanks for posting these. Awesome idea. I am not trying for a really sharp angle on the aluminum, which I'm not sure can be done, it's always going to have a bit of a curve to it, but focusing on the one piece angled peices, that are normally two angled peices that are then glued together.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

Thanks for your response, and ideas. The point of the angles are not suppose to be what I would call sharp on these, since it is all in one piece. The point of this is not the aluminum, but the one piece angled peices that are usually two peices. I know that if someone is use to seeing acute angles in a Gisi blank this will possibly look off.
I know what you are trying to do and there are a few people here that ran with that idea many years ago. Here is a link of one of those people. Mike was working on many segmented angles and scallops using aluminum. maybe something in there helps. But also look through the segmenting forum and do some searching with terms that fit your type of segmenting and you will be surprised what you find. Good luck.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/segmenting-with-aluminum-and-wood.108968/

Aces-High

I should have added that it is easier to bend against the grain lines than with them. Aluminum has a grain just like wood does. So be aware of this as you try to bend these angles. If you are bending real thick aluminum then the score line I speak of needs to be wider and deeper to relieve some of the stress as you bend. Now you can not work back and forth because this will weaken and cause to break. Good luck.

Thanks John

Top Bottom