Segmenters?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I often think about this, what will be the next big segmenting craze added to pens? I have watched over the years progression of different types of segmenting being done on our pens and sure was fun to even try a few myself and maybe pushed a few along too. I have a few ideas that I need to really sit down and draw sketches out. I have seen one that was used on a bowl that would fit nicely on a pen but it is complicated. I have watched the guy's video a few times and I still am missing some details. With this said maybe that new idea will appear this year in the Bash Segmenting contest that I believe is a go. You never know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Are you thinking just patterns/designs, John? Or are you also thinking materials? I see a lot of pure wood segmenting, but not much with a combination of materials.

I've fiddled a bit in the past with multi-material segmenting, something I really want to get back into. Haven't had the chance lately, but I really want to give resin, trustone/fauxstone, wood, metals and maybe even other materials in a single blank a try. I don't want them to be gaudy, so its hard to design something that really works, but I've used acrylic, metal, antler, and wood in a single blank before. I'm no great blank maker, but I kind of like how the antler and wood went together, while I could have picked a better resin.

I also really like the idea of integrating little bits of trustone or something similar, in with a wood segmented blank, maybe along with some metal to separate the materials. Maybe I'll get a chance to explore all of this more this year.

My recent experimentation has all been with engraving and etching blanks. I don't think I've necessarily had any true successes yet, but I have plans...lots of plans! :p I don't know if this kind of thing qualifies to what you are looking for. I guess, in fact, that etching or engraving could in fact be combined with segmenting to create something even more unique...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I will be hosting the segmenting contest this year. Mixed media will be allowed. You will need to do the segmenting mechanically, but it can be incorporated into a cast blank. Double pours (or more) from molds that simulate segmenting will not be allowed. Looking forward to this years entries.

jttheclockman

Are you thinking just patterns/designs, John? Or are you also thinking materials? I see a lot of pure wood segmenting, but not much with a combination of materials.

I've fiddled a bit in the past with multi-material segmenting, something I really want to get back into. Haven't had the chance lately, but I really want to give resin, trustone/fauxstone, wood, metals and maybe even other materials in a single blank a try. I don't want them to be gaudy, so its hard to design something that really works, but I've used acrylic, metal, antler, and wood in a single blank before. I'm no great blank maker, but I kind of like how the antler and wood went together, while I could have picked a better resin.

I also really like the idea of integrating little bits of trustone or something similar, in with a wood segmented blank, maybe along with some metal to separate the materials. Maybe I'll get a chance to explore all of this more this year.

My recent experimentation has all been with engraving and etching blanks. I don't think I've necessarily had any true successes yet, but I have plans...lots of plans! :p I don't know if this kind of thing qualifies to what you are looking for. I guess, in fact, that etching or engraving could in fact be combined with segmenting to create something even more unique...
Basically this question was one of those late at night and thinking out loud moments. Jon I am basically thinking both. Materials as well as patterns. We have seen the Celtic Knot take off along with scallops over the years, the gisi style pattern, along with common stripes of materials using metal as spacers. We seen the cutting of the knot but not going all the way through so now stripes wrap halfway around the tube. I stumbled on a members idea on this principle that I want to try because the end result is a cool effect. The herringbone patter, both 180 and 360 were huge innovations when they first came out. Ever stop to think what else is hidden in stacking bits of wood in a pattern and turning down. I am sure there is another great look hidden. Sometimes you do not know what a blank will look like because you built it on a 2 dimension platform but when turned it is 3D because it encircles the tube and the pattern can change drastically. Now of course if you build segmented strips and incorporate into a window so to speak the pattern does not change.

There is such a wide field of opportunity out there that I just do not see being tapped here. That is why the minds of SkipRat and Eagle and a few others were just so instrumental into leading us into this field of pen turning. I would love to see someone else step up and make that break through. I have tried my best over the years. but my problem is I want to do so much and can not stay focused on one theme. This year I will try to introduce some new ideas that I have been wanting to try. Hope others as yourself do the same. Lets take this field and really expand it. Do not be afraid to mix casting in with segmenting. The use of epoxy resin is great. You just read Mike is running the segmented contest and is allowing mixed media to be used. That is huge. It opens the door even wider. Again is not so much a pattern as an idea. Combine ideas you have seen and put in one blank. I know people say they like basic simple segmenting of say rings on top and bottom but that is so boring. Shows no imagination. Yes some pens just call for that and it works but if you are making a segmented blank then make one. That is all I was saying.

jrista

Basically this question was one of those late at night and thinking out loud moments. Jon I am basically thinking both. Materials as well as patterns. We have seen the Celtic Knot take off along with scallops over the years, the gisi style pattern, along with common stripes of materials using metal as spacers. We seen the cutting of the knot but not going all the way through so now stripes wrap halfway around the tube. I stumbled on a members idea on this principle that I want to try because the end result is a cool effect. The herringbone patter, both 180 and 360 were huge innovations when they first came out. Ever stop to think what else is hidden in stacking bits of wood in a pattern and turning down. I am sure there is another great look hidden. Sometimes you do not know what a blank will look like because you built it on a 2 dimension platform but when turned it is 3D because it encircles the tube and the pattern can change drastically. Now of course if you build segmented strips and incorporate into a window so to speak the pattern does not change.

There is such a wide field of opportunity out there that I just do not see being tapped here. That is why the minds of SkipRat and Eagle and a few others were just so instrumental into leading us into this field of pen turning. I would love to see someone else step up and make that break through. I have tried my best over the years. but my problem is I want to do so much and can not stay focused on one theme. This year I will try to introduce some new ideas that I have been wanting to try. Hope others as yourself do the same. Lets take this field and really expand it. Do not be afraid to mix casting in with segmenting. The use of epoxy resin is great. You just read Mike is running the segmented contest and is allowing mixed media to be used. That is huge. It opens the door even wider. Again is not so much a pattern as an idea. Combine ideas you have seen and put in one blank. I know people say they like basic simple segmenting of say rings on top and bottom but that is so boring. Shows no imagination. Yes some pens just call for that and it works but if you are making a segmented blank then make one. That is all I was saying.

I am new enough, that I don't think I ever knew SkipRat or Eagle. I think I have seen some of their pens though, beautiful work.

I have the same problem...I'm a bit scatter-brained. So its hard for me to focus on one thing. I am not really a new years resolution guy, but, maybe this year I can solve that problem and actually figure out some of these techniques I'm fiddling with (honestly don't know if amateur makers have tried any of these things...I know big name manufacturers have). If I can, then maybe I can start sharing something...new, or if not new, maybe not seen in a while. I guess we'll see!

Top Bottom