Segmented fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Angela S

Angela S

My latest pen. This had a few hang ups but I like the finished product.
E72A151D-C776-47CB-95F9-E9F2626BFC0D.jpeg
A92600BC-6139-4C14-9D1F-07CCEB9F1115.jpeg
E6D53360-58B6-4B4B-B320-6E1C7A81A8C6.jpeg
D7D01D98-7FEB-449F-A289-1A816536F490.jpeg
696DAF57-4B37-455E-BE92-1267DED6DA07.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks great. Looks like your layers are very equal. What did you use to cut them and did you use a sled with a stop block?? I ask because I see the fuzzies on the ends of the layers and tried figuring what would give you that.

Angela S

Looks great. Looks like your layers are very equal. What did you use to cut them and did you use a sled with a stop block?? I ask because I see the fuzzies on the ends of the layers and tried figuring what would give you that.

Thanks. I used a table saw with a crosscut sled with a pencil mark at the length I want to cut.

magpens

Angela ... your workmanship is superb !!!!! ..... you are an artist as well as a craftsperson !!!!

Based on your pen with the blue/gray Spectraply, and now this one, it seems that you have a real knack for achieving impeccable precision !!!

And you used a crosscut sled with only a pencil mark ... not a stop block ... to achieve the perfectly reproducible slice thicknesses ! . WOW !

That is truly amazing !!! . Congratulations !!!

BTW, what thickness are the slices, please ? . They look to be under 1/8".
And also, what did you use for the 4 very thin "rings" close to the ends of each barrel ? ... looks like veneer of some kind ... or plastic sheet

Angela S

Angela ... your workmanship is superb !!!!! ..... you are an artist as well as a craftsperson !!!!

Based on your pen with the blue/gray Spectraply, and now this one, it seems that you have a real knack for achieving impeccable precision !!!

And you used a crosscut sled with only a pencil mark ... not a stop block ... to achieve the perfectly reproducible slice thicknesses ! . WOW !

That is truly amazing !!! . Congratulations !!!

BTW, what thickness are the slices, please ? . They look to be under 1/8".
And also, what did you use for the 4 very thin "rings" close to the ends of each barrel ? ... looks like veneer of some kind ... or plastic sheet

Thank you! The slices are and 1/8". The thin bands are brass. They are what gave me the most trouble.

jttheclockman

Hello Angela

I have to ask because in today's world you never know so please forgive my forwardness. Are you a female turner?? I am guessing from the name yes but as I said I maybe saying it wrong. We have a few women turners here and it is rare have to say. You are rather young too to take up this hobby.

You are doing some great work for being a relative newbie from your postings. Jumping right into segmenting is great to see. I love seeing these type pens. Shows creation and imagination. The sky is the limit as to what can be done with that small canvas as the artist paints the picture. Look forward to more of your work. You are someone to indeed watch as they go forward. Good luck. And again nice job on this pen.

Angela S

Hello Angela

I have to ask because in today's world you never know so please forgive my forwardness. Are you a female turner?? I am guessing from the name yes but as I said I maybe saying it wrong. We have a few women turners here and it is rare have to say. You are rather young too to take up this hobby.

You are doing some great work for being a relative newbie from your postings. Jumping right into segmenting is great to see. I love seeing these type pens. Shows creation and imagination. The sky is the limit as to what can be done with that small canvas as the artist paints the picture. Look forward to more of your work. You are someone to indeed watch as they go forward. Good luck. And again nice job on this pen.

Thanks. I am a female turner. I have been woodworking for almost 2 years and turning since June. This has been so much fun.

Angela S

Very nice work. I assume you drill the holes before slicing of the pieces. Your alignment is spot on. Your "segmented blank" thread gave me the inspiration for this diamond design. Thanks for showing your work.

I do not drill the holes before slicing. These slices are actually the left overs from a different pen I am making that pre-drilling wouldn't work. And I am not confident in drilling straight.

jttheclockman

You really want to go and challenge yourself, do the same blank and before you cut it to slices add another strip 90 degrees to that one. In other words a basic cross down the center.

Thanks for the reply and good luck as you progress with woodworking in general and also pen turning.

Top Bottom