Segmented Blanks, No Power Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RunnerVince

All,

I've been interested in doing some segmented blanks, but I've been hesitant because I'm unsure if I can get results I'd be happy with using just hand tools. Does anyone do segmented blanks without a bandsaw? Do you need to have jointers/planers/table saws to ensure square stock to start with?

What hand tools would I need if I were to go at this the "manual" way? I have a few saws and a cheap miter box, which works fine for cross-cutting blanks for simple one- and two-barrel pens, but not a lot more. Do I need to invest in a hand plane or block plane? Better miter box? Better hand saw?

I have neither the money nor the space at the moment to add any expensive power tools to my workshop (i.e., apartment balcony). I'm just wondering if doing anything other than the most basic of segmenting without some of these tools is a fool's errand, and I don't want to waste money learning when the precision required for doing this by hand is not practical without master-level experience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Vince, I copied your post to answer a bit more specifically.

These are MY thoughts only - you will get different opinions, and that is good!

I've been interested in doing some segmented blanks, but I've been hesitant because I'm unsure if I can get results I'd be happy with using just hand tools. Does anyone do segmented blanks without a bandsaw? I personally do not. Do you need to have jointers/planers/table saws to ensure square stock to start with? No, but it would be helpful to have some edges that are accurate.

What hand tools would I need if I were to go at this the "manual" way? A good Miter Box and saw would be a good start. Jigs for straight and precise angled cuts in a good miter box is also helpful. I have a few saws and a cheap miter box, which works fine for cross-cutting blanks for simple one- and two-barrel pens, but not a lot more. Do I need to invest in a hand plane or block plane? Better miter box? Better hand saw? I'd suggest a good Miter Box and a good Saw. But it also depends on the type of segmenting you wish to do.

I have neither the money nor the space at the moment to add any expensive power tools to my workshop (i.e., apartment balcony). I'm just wondering if doing anything other than the most basic of segmenting without some of these tools is a fool's errand, and I don't want to waste money learning when the precision required for doing this by hand is not practical without master-level experience. Play with what you have! Screw up a few trial blanks and you will learn a lot. Refine what you can do with what you have, and when you can invest a bit more you will be better prepared for the journey. HAVE FUN!

Some resources: I'll be back...

PatrickR

I'm not doing segmenting like a lot of people here are but am an advocate of hand tools and use them whenever possible. I think it's possible to do anything you want with hand tools. It really wasn't that long ago when all wood working was done by hand.
That said, good hand tools are expensive and the time to master their use may be a factor. You would also need to be able to sharpen these tools.
take a look at Lee Valley's line of hand tools to get an idea of costs. They make very nice tools, at a price that is reasonable.

leehljp

Member Liaison

That may be much more expensive than you would want to invest in at this time, but the Byrnes model table saw is a precision machine. I think Mark has one, as do several people here.

I would probably have invested in one if I had not made my own small model saw about 12 to 13 years ago. I was located overseas where I could get some very thin carbide circular saw blades, so I made my own saw.

• Saw table made with 6 1/2 inch circular saw - This is the basic table:
This strips are slide/glide strips that make the sliding miter table easy

• Basic slide table top. I have adjustable slides on the side to keep it tight enough to prevent wobble.

• Another jig for precision adjustment:

This is not a safe saw and it hurts some people's eyes just to look at it without safety covers over the blade, but I am obsessive about where my hands are when cutting. It gets the job done - for me.

Last edited:

KenB259

I personally could not have made most of the segmented blanks I have made, to the precision I strive for, with hand tools. That doesn't mean it can't be done. I have watched videos of master woodworkers cutting dovetails by hand that are precise as any modern dovetail jig. That being said, it took them a very long time to master their craft. A lot depends on your own perception of what is precise enough. All you can do is try, see what happens. Your tools will let you know if they are good enough to achieve. As Mark said a lot depends on what type of segmenting you want to do.

Top Bottom