Segmented Blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

This is a new kit for me. This pen takes one long blank. I was a little worried about the design I chose because it requires a dead straight hole, otherwise the stripe will appear slanted. My worry was for nothing, it turned out fine. Materials are king cocobolo, myrtle burl and black fishpaper. Plating on the hardware is chrome. Comments and critiques always welcomed.
B22B9963-119B-41B6-8302-A887294464CE.jpeg
EB00A2EE-7541-48D9-BB64-C1DD8449936A.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Your pen has turned out extremely well, Ken.
Good colour combination and the stripe is straight as a die.

What is the orange timber in the stripe?

sorcerertd

Very nice! Nothing to critique there. I do wish manufacturers would find a way to hide the lower part of the schmidt clicker mechanism, but your work is exceptional. I've never seen Myrtle burl, but I definitely like it.

magpens

@KenB259

Very nicely done, Ken !!!!

Will be interested in hearing your opinion of the "Blade" pen kit . . . in due course.

Where do you buy "black fishpaper" ? . It seems to be much thicker than "ordinary" paper !

turnit2020

You done real good as we say in the south. That is a good clip pen. Both are sold at Berea Hard woods and Woodcraft. They show a lot of the blank and your work is fabulous. Thanks foreshowing.
Turncrazy43

howsitwork

Ken

thats absolutely stunning.

here's a thought for you to ponder. If you were to make the top and bottom sections from matching timber , the side slices would look almost like window panes of timber? Could be an interesting look ??

Way beyond me but one can always hope , practice and admire .🙇‍♂️

KenB259

Ken

thats absolutely stunning.

here's a thought for you to ponder. If you were to make the top and bottom sections from matching timber , the side slices would look almost like window panes of timber? Could be an interesting look ??

Way beyond me but one can always hope , practice and admire .🙇‍♂️
The center and end caps were from the same board. I do know what you mean though. This was a very simple segment. I had never used myrtle before and I was anxious to see what it looked like in a pen.

Top Bottom