Seam Rippers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Got a call from a previous customer looking for seam rippers. She wanted 5, no hurry, she said, just needs them by next Friday. I already had the kits, glued the tubes in yesterday and turned them today, took about 90 minutes. Sometimes it feels good to just do simple. These are zebrawood, chechen, lacewood, purpleheart & spalted jatoba, in no particular order. They all have a Pens Plus finish.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 96
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

They look nice Ken.

I just turned my first group of seam rippers. Is there any specific trick to get the retaining spring in properly?

KenB259

They look nice Ken.

I just turned my first group of seam rippers. Is there any specific trick to get the retaining spring in properly?
I use a transfer punch, small enough the the spring will overlap when wrapped around it, it will slip almost all the way in. Then use the actual component to push it the rest of the way.

mmayo

They look nice Ken.

I roll the spring so there is an overlap. If it does not slide in easily I pull it out and try again. Force is bad. The butter end of the spring needs to be overlapped too. Easy peasy.

d_bondi

I use a transfer punch, small enough the the spring will overlap when wrapped around it, it will slip almost all the way in. Then use the actual component to push it the rest of the way.
Thanks Ken, worked great. :cool:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ken, I love the timbers and the profile. And yes, an easy order with basic turning skills that still need to be practiced is a welcomed event. Thanks for sharing. (I really like the profile for these 👏 👏 👏 ).

KenB259

Ken, I love the timbers and the profile. And yes, an easy order with basic turning skills that still need to be practiced is a welcomed event. Thanks for sharing. (I really like the profile for these 👏 👏 👏 ).
Thanks Mark, I have been told by ladies that sew, they appreciate a profile that lets them determine which end has the large ripper and which one has the small one without pulling it out. They prefer them asymmetrical.

NeonWoodShop

Thanks Mark, I have been told by ladies that sew, they appreciate a profile that lets them determine which end has the large ripper and which one has the small one without pulling it out. They prefer them asymmetrical.
Thanks for sharing the tip about the profile.

MTViper

Great job. One other hint I learned from my wife the quilter - I leave one side just flat enough that it doesn't interfere with holding the seam ripper but it keeps the seam ripper from rolling off the table. I also made a batch for older quilters that were a little fatter for arthritic hands.

Woodchipper

Where did the kits come from? I turned a seam ripper for my late BIL who made some outstanding quilts. I used the Woodcraft kit. He remarked it was the sharpest he had ever used.
Flat to keep it from rolling- good idea. Larger diameter for easier gripping- another good idea.
My wife has arthritis in her hands. Does that mean I should be a little fatter?

KenB259

Where did the kits come from? I turned a seam ripper for my late BIL who made some outstanding quilts. I used the Woodcraft kit. He remarked it was the sharpest he had ever used.
Flat to keep it from rolling- good idea. Larger diameter for easier gripping- another good idea.
These are the ones PSI ells, with a large and small ripper.

mmayo

You folks might consider a small ripper and stiletto instead of big and small rippers. Since we changed to that combination our sales have skyrocketed.

KenB259

You folks might consider a small ripper and stiletto instead of big and small rippers. Since we changed to that combination our sales have skyrocketed.
I have made and sold a few of those, I believe, but don't quote me, quilters use the stiletto.

d_bondi

The batch I made are for Christmas Gifts and that is what I am doing. My wife, her sisters, and mother all use a ripper and pick (stiletto), so I am switching out the large ripper for the pick (stiletto). Since I have the large ripper, I'll still give it to them.

MTViper

Yes fatter is what I meant. Here's a picture to illustrate. PSI makes good kits and so does Berea. I have used both.

Attachments

• 2016 Seam Rippers1.jpg
    2016 Seam Rippers1.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom