Sealing tube ends?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gralli

So my label casting keeps improving, but I ruined a pen the other day wet sanding. I tried sealing the next attempt with CA glue and it leached between the paper and acrylic and ruined that blank.

Do you seal your ends? If so how? Should I just switch to polishing with one step or similar?

Since I'm using matte waterproof, I want to get as high a gloss shine on my blanks as possible.

Any help would be totally appreciated.

JohnU

Without seeing your process it's hard to pinpoint but If your glue is wicking in, try a thicker glue. I use the orange label thin Gluboost and spray with Gludry on all of my blanks with no problems. Also, I only put a few drops of water on my micro mesh when sanding so not to over saturate the blank.

Gralli

Without seeing your process it's hard to pinpoint but If your glue is wicking in, try a thicker glue. I use the orange label thin Gluboost and spray with Gludry on all of my blanks with no problems. Also, I only put a few drops of water on my micro mesh when sanding so not to over saturate the blank.
John,

Love your blanks! Appreciate the tips. As far as my process it's nothing special.

Dry sand 400, wet sand 600
Micro mesh 1500 to 12000

Sometimes I stop there because I'm satisfied, but if I still catch scratches or fullness in the light I'll buff with one step or diamond paste.

I get really good results mostly, bit this time the water ruined the label. Reading here, it suggests sealing, which I did, but had bad results.

I'll try a thicker ca and use the gludry... I missed that.

Also, what resin do you use for your blanks because mine surely don't look that good out of the mold?

Thanks again John!

JohnU

John,

Love your blanks! Appreciate the tips……
Also, what resin do you use for your blanks because mine surely don't look that good out of the mold?

Thanks again John!
Thanks Greg! I primarily use Silmar 41 Polyresin (feathers and snakes) and Alumilite Clear Urethane resin (Opal and labels). My Polyresin Blanks don't look like that out of the mold either. I remove the plastic mold sleeve and shine them up to get a better picture. If I'm making them for myself I just turn them. The alumilite clear comes out real nice and I don't do anything to them except trim the ends. The colored blanks I sand smooth after cutting and shine them up a bit for the pictures.

Top Bottom