scrimshaw pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

This is the renshape pen I posted some time back. It looked close enough to ivory for me, so I put on some scrimshaw. Now for the fine print, (cause I can't tell a lie);), I finally got the software bugs out of my laser engraver with the rotary attachment. snicker, snicker I'm so tickled with this I almost ......., well that's enough details about that! Just couldn't be happier. After some confidence is built, I may be selling time doing this for others. Used some cheap electronic clip art from Dover Publications. This will probably go to my daughter after some gloat time. She loves all oriental.

Rich
2004111723850_scrimshawpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

That is some fantastic work.

I may need you to help me with a wedding gift for my daughter's best friend.
Please send me an e-mail as to cost on doing a name/date etching.

Thanks

low_48

The burn from the laser is just barely deep enough to catch a finger nail. It is really more like an etching. I didn't know how this stuff would etch, so it was a guess on the laser settings. The black is just rubbed in with a black Sharpie and block sanded off on the lathe with 400 grit. I got in a hurry, but next time I will use india ink for a darker color.

Rich

jkirkb94

This is a great looking pen, Rich. Where did you get a laser engraver? I am fairly ignorant about them. I have had several people ask me about engraving. Also how is the engraving process done? Post some picture if you can. Kirk [8D]

low_48

Kirk,
The laser engraver is very basically like a dot matrix printer, but instead of ink you have a laser beam. The beam comes from the back of the machine, hits 2 45 degree mirrors, then down through a focusing lense. The lense travels back and forth and the laser beam comes out at the appropriate times to vaporize the material. I also have a rotary attachment that holds the pen and rotates it in unison with the lense movement. It's an incredible machine that with the 2" lense will cut a .005" line. I didn't time the burn on the pen, but it must have been less than 3 minutes. My favorite part of all this is easy art work. It works off the printer port on the computer and will print anything that is on the screen. You don't need "lines" like a computer numerical controlled router, all it needs is a picture. It will see shades of gray and different colors to change intensity of the laser beam to change the depth of cut. You can almost get a 3d look. The bad news, MONEY! My machine is 25 watt laser (small "horsepower", lasers here at Caterpillar are up to 3,500 watts to cut thick steel) and it was a rebuilt 7 year old machine. $9,000 with the rotary attachment. I bought it from ACCESS Lasers in Hudson WI. Very nice people. I had a portable bandsaw mill and sold it when I had too much lumber. As I explained it to SWMBO, I have to reinvest that in machinery so we don't pay so much Federal Income Tax. I think it worked?

http://www.usedlasers.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=81&op=file&SubMenu=

jkirkb94

Thanks for the follow up on my laser question Rich. You're right about the bad news. I thought they wouldn't be cheap! I could just see the wife's response if I told her that I wanted an engraving laser [:0]. I guess I could get one from the insurance money when my wife died from laughing [:D] I look forward to seeing more pens in the future that you have engraved. You are off to a great start! That is a great gift for your daughter. I just gave my daughter a pink acrylester for her 16th birthday.....along with a car and a new camera phone. (spoiled huh?) [:D] Kirk [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom