Scribe Tool for Octagon Cuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But I want to share in case it's interesting.​
29: Scribe Tool for Octagon Cuts
last post- 28: Cutting Corners with Bandsaw
(3d *.obj file attached)
p29.07.jpg

p29.05.jpg

Thanks for the GREAT discussion on the utility and methods of turning pen blanks into octagons.
I have one more simple tool to contribute if you want to go a step beyond "eyeballing" the necessary cuts.​
The Problem
While my last jig focused on making 45 degree cuts in blanks, it failed to indicate where to make the cuts if you want an octagon.
p28.11..jpg

I may have accidentally cut one squared blank into a smaller square. (Doh!!)
p29.08.jpg

A better octagon should have all sides (S) equal, but I wasn't sure where to cut.
p29.09.jpg

My Solution
(Not rocket surgery... but a bit of geometry.)
I started by building a simple "center finding" scribe tool... and modified it by offsetting the scribing hole to 29.29% of the length and replacing the more common rounded ends with triangles. I made the scribing hole just big enough for a mechanical pencil.
p29.10.jpg

p29.15.jpg

Why 29.29% across?
p29.11.jpg

This school website provided the main equations.

Summary
Because we typically deal with smaller blocks of wood in penturning, this tool is designed to handle blanks with side measurements from 5/8" to 1" wide.
Cutting at 45 degrees along this line should yield a perfect octagon.

I've attached a 3d *.obj file called octFinder3.obj. I always need to scale it up by 10x before printing. Model offered as-is.
p29.16.jpg

Thanks for looking
- Cullen

Attachments

• octFinder3.obj
    16 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

That is way cool!!!! - Dave
PS My cheat has been to go to MS Publisher, draw two squares the size of my stock and rotate one of them 45-degrees, then cut the template out and paste it to the end of my blank. I like your approach much better!

Last edited:

Wmcullen

That is way cool!!!! - Dave
Thanks Dave. That's a great way to use some very practical geometry! While playing with this topic I came across some other methods you might find useful. Or at the very least, interesting.

Calipers
  1. Draw an X to find the blank's center.​
  2. Using calipers or a compass, measure the distance from the center to a corner.​
  3. This measurement will mark 29.29% from the other direction along a side.​
  4. Cut at 45 degree for a perfect octagon
    (Geometry is incredible, isn't it!??!)​
p29.12.jpg

Tablesaw
Watch this great demonstration of a Fine Woodworking tip:

Close enough
Precision is a fickle goal.
If you're just looking to remove material before turning you might eyeball "a tad less than 1/3 of the way across" and cut. Done.

- Cullen

PS- After writing this post yesterday, I found another excellent article that covers a lot of this and more at:
http://www.timberframe-tools.com/techniques/making-square-stock-octagonal/

Last edited:

Joebobber

With the right tool in the right persons hands, anything is possible. The 3d printer and you were made for each other. You make some awesome jigs man.

Top Bottom