Schedule of Events

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I hope to have a tentative schedule of events, or calendar, publicly posted by no later than 1/15/13. I've asked Jeff if it would be possible to have a Birthday Bash calander created. I'll be posting a draft here in the next couple of days.

I would also like to have all of the details and rules of the various activities posted no later than 1/15/13 also.

I propose that the BASH oficially begin on Friday morning 2/1/13 and end on Sunday evening 3/3/13. This gives the members an additional weekend to get things finished up. Contest winners could be determined and announced diring the first week of March, no later than Saturday 3/9/13. COMMENTS?

Please place all discussion concerning scheduling in this thread.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I have not heard back from you concerning my contest rules draft but it will not be hard to change the dates some so I see no problem with that extension.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Is it possible to get a list posted of all the events that are going to happen in this years bash?

mbroberg

Here is the list of events, subject to change. I'm still drafting a schedule.

Attachments

• 2013 Bash Activities.xls
    34 KB · Views: 97

mbroberg

That would be easy enough to add. We just need to repost the rukes from the last time we ran it, structure it so the winner is selected by membership vote (eliminates the need for judges) and find someone to monitor it and post the poll. I don't think that will be a problem. Any volunteers to do it here?

Sent from my DROID4 using Forum Runner

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
That would be easy enough to add. We just need to repost the rukes from the last time we ran it, structure it so the winner is selected by membership vote (eliminates the need for judges)I hope that was not a requirement. and find someone to monitor it and post the poll. I don't think that will be a problem. Any volunteers to do it here?I just can't.

:eek:

Mike, is that a nice way of saying if I think it's a good idea then I should do it? :biggrin:
I can do that. I may need some pointers along the way. I've never posted a poll of any kind.

mbroberg

That would be easy enough to add. We just need to repost the rukes from the last time we ran it, structure it so the winner is selected by membership vote (eliminates the need for judges)I hope that was not a requirement. and find someone to monitor it and post the poll. I don't think that will be a problem. Any volunteers to do it here?I just can't.

:eek:

Landon,

I would not be able to sleep at night if you took on another contest. You do way too much already. Not only during the Bash, but throughout the year.

No, that is not a requirement. Judges are fine to a point. In the plans that you submitted for your contests you have a panel of judges selecting a specified number of the entries as "finalists" and allowing the membership to vote to determine the winners. That's fine. That allows the membership to be involved which is what we want.

What I meant in regards to the Edible Pen Contest is that if we didn't use judges that means we wouldn't need to find judges in addition to finding a chairperson.

mbroberg

Mike, is that a nice way of saying if I think it's a good idea then I should do it? :biggrin:
I can do that. I may need some pointers along the way. I've never posted a poll of any kind.

In MOST cases I try to avoid the "You caught it, you clean it" mentality because in the end it only shuts down the flow of good ideas. So no, that is not what I was saying. However, if you would like to do it than you are more than welcome too! Are you volunteering?

I caught it, I'll clean it. :) Give me a few days to work out the details. I'm thinking 100% edible, 1 prize possibly edible, Small group picks top 3 and popular vote picks the winner. Any ideas?

mbroberg

I'm not familiar with, or don't remember the Best Product Review contest. What was the judging criteria? Can a review of an "apple" product be compared to a review of an "orange" product? I'm not opposed to it, just don't know how it would work.

I do recall Tall Tale, I believe it was called "Liars Club". It seemed to attract the same people who liked to participate in the "Trash Talking" that several people encouraged. At that time there was a great deal of negativity on the site in general. There were several members who made it their mission to be as big an obnoxious PIA they could possibly be. I yanked Liars Club and Trash Talking because it, IMHO encouraged behavior that carried over to, and was occurring way to frequently on the main site. In my opinion these 2 BASH activities are better left dead. I will, however, consider any arguments to the contrary that this wise group cares to offer. I've been wrong before and will be again.:wink:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I liked the liar's club, as it involved some really good literary stories...there were some real gems in there. I didn't notice much trash talk in there...

Mind you, I liked the ugly pen contest too - it was fun - no sense making things too sterile just to avoid controversy! :)

mbroberg

Liars club has cooled for a couple of years. I'm not opposed to trying it again. "Tall Tales" might be abetter name than "Liars Club". Anyone else want to weigh in? If we do it this year any ideas on where to get a chair person on short notice. We could resurrect and tweak the old rules.

Jeff and I talked about the Ugly Pen Contest. The intent is to let it cool off and bring it back next year with some stricter guidelines as to what is acceptable and what is not. The original intent of that contest was for people to show those pens that were planned and turned in good faith but turned out......Ugly. What it turned into was a "Lets see who could make the grossest, most disgusting pen contest.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I never paid much attention to the Liars Club thing except for moderation needs. I never saw the point to it. If I recall correctly, it seldom had anything to do with penturning or any of its related activities. I see no need for it while celebrating IAP and the advancement of penturning.

PR_Princess

If you sell your pens on a web site, the ability to paint a picture with words can be almost as important as a photo....lol especially if one's picture taking skills are as crappy as mine.:redface:

Besides a little variety never hurt anything, and it was a fun read.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
That's fine - I just liked reading the stories. It was my favourite contest back in the day, but if it's just me, I'm fine with it going by the wayside.

I like the 'unique' things that add colour to the otherwise very similar pen making contests - so I guess I just like a bit of variety.

If we're happy with them being gone, that's fine too - just reminiscing, essentially.

mbroberg

FYI,

Mike R has proposed a contest for kids under 16, much like we did with the last PITH. He has also agreed to chair it. I will let him fill us all in on the rules he develops but I anticipate that it will basically be a Beginner's Beautiful Pen Contest for the under 16 crowd. There might be two categories, such as 14 - 16, and under 14. I think it is a great way to get kids more interested in turning.

Top Bottom