Saw Stop Table saw mini review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I bought the 1.75 HP 120 volt 36" model from my trusted Woodcraft dealer in Huntington Beach- that's 2.5 hours away!

The saw had all of the parts and those parts are very heavy, probably too heavy for me. My Subaru Forrester SUV was absolutely packed when the saw, extra 8" cast iron surface and the router table extension were loaded. I enlisted four friends to unload the saw itself. I was left with many boxes and a saw in its side. I attached the mobility kit with some difficulty and asked one of the friends to help me right it. I spent a day reading the manuals and attaching cast iron parts. They are heavy at a minimum. Ask for help as the distance from the part or bolt and the ground is more than my arms. Anyway, bolt by bolt I managed to assemble the beast by end of day. The next day my router lift arrived and my wife helped me to attach the legs. Without legs and with the router/router lift/fence the saw would tip over. With legs it is rock solid.

Most people buy the saw for the stop part and that was a factor to me but accurate cutting is my need. The saw is a dream. The same saw blades from my old contractor's saw performed much, much better. Edges were very smooth indeed and the feed is so smooth. Tear out was absent from several kinds of wood and plywood. When you turn off the saw it stops fairly quickly which is good to me. I opted for the zero clearance insert and cutting the kerf was effortless and it helps the cuts. The fence adjustment was very quick and exact. The blade was accurately aligned. Setting the cut off measurement was quick too. The fence moves like butter and is massive. Adjusting the distance between the blade and the sawstop cartridge (which stops the blade) was quick, easy and using the provided tools was wonderful. I change blades between rip and crosscut every time so quick, easy, accurate and safe adjustment will be done. Dust collection is amazing below the table and not excessive above.

The router table is massive as is the router fence. My Bosch router installed quickly and firmly with one of the enclosed sleeves. The crank is a great luxury to me. Changing bits above the table is also a treat. Beware you need to remove the sizing insert before you crank up the router! The tool makes it easy. I bought the Saw Stop dust collection box. Dust collection is like my old Benchdog router insert with a Rockler dust box which was 99% or better. Installation of the box was way easier than the Rockler. I really like the large paddle on off switch.

I short "You get what you pay for" with this saw. It is very well built, looks great, cuts perfectly and will outlast me easily.

Old saw vs new saw. Sold the old saw to a fireman for $300.

PS - use of the old saw bought the new saw and most of the machines, lathes, clamps and tools in the shop. It more than earned its keep.

Attachments

• A2D32A1C-4322-4356-90FD-32513CAAD6DC.jpeg
    A2D32A1C-4322-4356-90FD-32513CAAD6DC.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DADB11EE-8E71-498F-A8DA-E703DB0265E5.jpeg
    DADB11EE-8E71-498F-A8DA-E703DB0265E5.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good info Mark, I'll keep it in mind. Also glad to hear everything went so well. I ordered a Delta thickness planer some time ago (like two months ago). Three tries and they still couldn't get it to me without it being broken. So I went to Dewalt and had it delivered to the Home Depot store in Great Falls. Hopefully this on will make it in good shape.

EricRN

Great set up and nice review. I am so envious of folks with these machines! I keep toying around with whether I could fit one off to the side of my garage and wheel it out when I set up shop. (That's what I currently do with my Dewalt RS jobsite saw--much smaller.) But I keep reaching the conclusion that it's probably too big to do that with and still park two cars in there. How well does it move on the mobile base? Would it be easy to move frequently or is it one of those things that is more hassle than it's worth but helpful for the occasional move. Also, how does the mobile base work with the side supports for the router table?

Right now, I never use the router table I have (a small portable benchtop one) because it's up on a shelf and a pain to set up. I'm thinking if I can find a way to make this fit on the side of my garage, it might really be worthwhile because I'd make much better use of the router table, plus have all the benefits of a sawstop cabinet saw.

jrista

Great review, Mark. Looks like a beautiful setup! A nice, solid table saw is so nice. Glad to hear it cuts so cleanly. I've been looking at the portable sawstop table saw...and only because I simply don't have space for this one.

The fact that it has a router table integrated is really nice... I didn't realize they had that. I can't quite tell, doe sit have one of those precision router lifts in it? Or, can you put in a precision router lift if it doesn't have one built in?

mmayo

Great review, Mark. Looks like a beautiful setup! A nice, solid table saw is so nice. Glad to hear it cuts so cleanly. I've been looking at the portable sawstop table saw...and only because I simply don't have space for this one.

The fact that it has a router table integrated is really nice... I didn't realize they had that. I can't quite tell, doe sit have one of those precision router lifts in it? Or, can you put in a precision router lift if it doesn't have one built in?

mmayo

The router lift is internal or built in. A lever on top raises or lowers the bit.

Here is the out feed table adjusted and aligned.

Attachments

• D1AA2AD4-2EC6-4FAC-BE4E-35CFE139FF30.jpeg
    D1AA2AD4-2EC6-4FAC-BE4E-35CFE139FF30.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Top Bottom