Satin, semi-gloss, gloss finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

malathan

I have been using Enduro gloss finish. Like the finish except sometimes I agree with couple of customers, the high gloss gives the wood a plastic look. I notice in most of the pen catelogs and few of the "how-to" pen turning shows on tv (diy network), they always do a satin or semi gloss (they also do a fast-basic finish that will not last too).

Just wondering what the preference is for finish style is out there?

I have been changing to a semi by only MM through 4000. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten such a high gloss in Enduro.

- Clayton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I prefer a high gloss finish (haven't tried Enduro, though). You can always knock it down a bit by MM'ing the finish or hitting it with some of the 000000 steel wool that Hut carries.

swm6500

It does not seem to be consistent one way ot the other for me. Some customers like the high gloss and some do not, some seem to think that the wood should not be glossy, but you never know what the customer will like, I just do some of both and hope for the best.

ryannmphs

I preferr the semi-gloss look. I have made a couple of sales by letting the customer know that I can do, high gloss, semi-gloss, satin, and natural.

Remember, the customer is always right (except when they're wrong [:D])

Ryan

vick

Well one thing to think of is you can always get satin on semi gloss out of a gloss finish by what grit you sand to ( rubbing out the finish). If you buy the semi, or satin their are chemicals added to the finish that would inhibit you from getting a gloss finish. Personally I prefer a semi gloss finish on most of my wood projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom