Satellite City

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Humongous

I have been using Hot stuff (Thin) and Special T (Medium) from Satellite City for finishing. I have used nothing else for years when doing a CA finish. Recently I was looking to get some new as mine is about a year old and getting a little thick. The bottles I have are marked $11.99, The new price listed on the website and from many suppliers (Woodcraft, etc... ) is now $18.00 for the 2 oz. bottle, that's a 50% increase and also makes them one of the highest cost CA suppliers. I have seen it for less at some online places but I wonder if it may be old stock from before the price increase.

I know everyone complains that Glu Boost is expensive but now it's less that what I have been using, it may be the time to jump on the bandwagon. Sorry for the long rant, I know everything is getting more expensive but this is a huge price jump.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

And to think I use CA off Amazon that cost $20 for 2 1.7oz bottles and 2 cans of activator without any issues and excellent finished results.

Maybe it's time to look for an alternative especially if your not using up the CA in a timely manner. If you're only using 1/2 a bottle $20 an ounce is pricey.

KenB259

I don't consider the price of GluBoost to bad, because I only use it for pen finishing. Typically, a set of bottles last me a year or more. It does matter a little where you buy it. Amazon charges $10.00 more a bottle than most any other place. I get mine from Ed @ Exotic Blanks. I also use less than other brands, so that stretches it a little.

jttheclockman

I have been using Hot stuff (Thin) and Special T (Medium) from Satellite City for finishing. I have used nothing else for years when doing a CA finish. Recently I was looking to get some new as mine is about a year old and getting a little thick. The bottles I have are marked $11.99, The new price listed on the website and from many suppliers (Woodcraft, etc... ) is now $18.00 for the 2 oz. bottle, that's a 50% increase and also makes them one of the highest cost CA suppliers. I have seen it for less at some online places but I wonder if it may be old stock from before the price increase.

I know everyone complains that Glu Boost is expensive but now it's less that what I have been using, it may be the time to jump on the bandwagon. Sorry for the long rant, I know everything is getting more expensive but this is a huge price jump.
I am a huge user of Satellite CA glue and recommend it highly whenever the subject comes up. It has been awhile since I bought any since I have still a couple bottles in the freezer. Do not remember the price and will go by what you are saying. You can buy them in 1 OZ bottles from various sites such as PSI. It maybe be wise if you do not use as much and it goes bad on you. But and it is just me because I live by the golden rule if not broke do not fix it. I will not be jumping on the gluboost bandwagon any time soon. I read the reports hear and there is way too much iffy stuff for me. Too many formulas and it is like Alumilite one is good one is bad one is thinner one is too thick one clouds one does not get a good shine and so on. This CA glue works first time every time. So count me in to pay whatever price. As John said I just bought a gallon of Silmar41 too and that price has gone up since I bought last but does not want to make me try something else. The thing with finishing and again I do not say anything but there are many people doing CA wrong. I read the amount of coats people use and wonder where are they putting it? for me 2 to 3 coats of thin. 4 to 5 coats of med and done. Any more than that is a waste because you are sanding it off because now it is lumpy. I read people doing 20 coats. Why I ask? I do not worry about buildup so there is no over turning such amount to allow for CA glue fill. The coats are thin just to seal and fill holes if need be and to make smooth. Too many coats allows for possible cracking and other problems. CA glue does not wear off so 3 coats is just as good as 10 coats. OK that is my rant on the subject. Happy Turning.

Hartwell85

The price of many things have increased significantly over the past 18 months. I was pricing an auto battery and to replace the same premium grade battery purchased in 2016 at $125 was now nearly $300.

sorcerertd

Prices... ugh. Yep, every darned thing.

I'm on the GluBoost boat and don't mind paying more because I use less and it is much less frustrating than others I've tried (including Satellite City). That's just my experience, but I have seen it echoed around here. It doesn't sound like it will hurt your wallet to try it now (comparatively speaking).

Top Bottom