Sanding Sealer=/=Mylands vs Deft vs Whatever ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

This question was asked on the Yahoo group by a guy who is not a member here(?). Thought I would throw it out here, too, to get reactions from those who may have missed it over there.

What do you see as the differences(good and bad) between Mylands, Deft and whatever sanding sealers. I would also appreciate comments about performance from users of SS who may not have used more than one. Thanks.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Sanding sealer is a finish, either lacquer or shellac because they dry faster than an oil, that has something added to it to lubricate the sandpaper so it doesn't get clogged with the finish when it is sanded. That seals the wood with a finish that will be compatible with anything else you want to put over it. Any grain filling will requie leaving behind enough of whatever has been added to the finish to fill the wood.

That "something" that has been added to all commercial sanding sealers is stearic acid.

Since they all use the same lubricant, that all nitrocellulose lacquers are alike, and all shellacs are essentially the same, there isn't a nickles worth of difference between any of the commercial sanding sealers, regardless what they say on the label, or how much you pay for them.

Not everyone will agree with what I have said, but that will be an opinion; and opinions are based on a lot of things besides the what is in the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom