Sanding Sealer for which woods?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby_dale

I spent some time looking through the search, regarding when to use a sanding sealer and when not to. The general comment was some woods will take it and others won't, depending on their intrinsic oils.

Therefore, I guess I am wondering if you all could share your experience on which woods do need a sanding sealer and which ones don't.

Since I am new to sanding sealers, I am not that familar with them. So Mylands SS, as compared to Enduro, are the same in my mind.

TIA,
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Have not had a problem with sanding sealer on any of the woods I use... I generally wipe all my blanks with DNA before putting the sealer on anyway so that removes some of the surface oils...
In fact on some very oil woods like Cocobolo and BLO I prefer sanding sealer as a base coat to my CA or TSW finish

MDWine

I think I am starting to use it more and more. I used it on the Bocote, because it is an open pored wood. The SS fills in the pores, and makes a smoother finish. Sometimes I don't want it all that "glossy", so I may use only one coat. I noticed on my recent Bocote, that the friction polish also fills in a bit, and makes a rather nice finish for me. I think I used one coat of SS on the Mesquite Cigar, and it filled in nicely. HTH[:)]

hobby_dale

So are there differences in the sanding sealers? For those of you that use Enduro, do you use a different SS or the one the comes with Enduro?

coach

I use the Myland's SS. It has greatly improved my finishes. I use them on all woods. I plan on using Tom's tip on the DN alcohol as soon as I can get some.

tomwojeck

Along the lines of sanding sealer, when you put it on, do you then buff with 0000 steel wool or something similar to make sure that it's even before applying the finish?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by hobby_dale
<br />So are there differences in the sanding sealers? For those of you that use Enduro, do you use a different SS or the one the comes with Enduro?

I bought the trial or sample kit from Enduro, which has sanding sealer and poly finish. I use them together, and feel that is the best way to use Enduro.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Tom I apply the sanding sealer after I sand the blank to about 1200 grit.. then wipe down with DNA and apply 2-3 coats of thinned (70/30) sealer... when dry I lighlty buff with 000000 Hut Magic Sand (http://www.hutproducts.com/finishes9.html) to get a semi gloss finish then apply my top coat
If I use CA I sand that to 12000MM and then use automotive polishing compound followed by Novus or Hut Plastic Polish (I have heard that automotive anti-awirl cream works also)..
When I use TSW it is usually 2 coats buffed out to a high gloss
All pens are finished with a coat of Ren wax to protect from finger prints and smears...
This works for me.. but any turner really needs to experiment with finishing techniqes to find out what is the best solution for them... there are no hard or fast rules for finishing... most of us do things a bit different.. but as long as the final product is what you are happy with, go for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom