Sanding belts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I never thought I would be asking this question but thought of the knife makers here and maybe other metal workers. I need to sand some hard metal probably steel and have no idea what grade or anything like that but want to do it on my Jet 6" X 48" belt sander. I have tried my usual aluminum oxide paper (brown) but it is dulling paper too quickly. I can not go too low on grit or it will rip out of my hand. I know there are various aluminum oxide papers also so that is why I am asking.

So before I buy some blue or green I thought I would ask and also if you have a source that would be nice too. I do not sand metals often. There are a number of choices and some I have no idea about like the ceramic ones. Or these red label ones. Before you ask about pens and aluminum inserts I use that is just black wet dry metal sandpaper for polishing. I need for a power sanding belt. I think knife workers sand their blades. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InkyMike

I never thought I would be asking this question but thought of the knife makers here and maybe other metal workers. I need to sand some hard metal probably steel and have no idea what grade or anything like that but want to do it on my Jet 6" X 48" belt sander. I have tried my usual aluminum oxide paper (brown) but it is dulling paper too quickly. I can not go too low on grit or it will rip out of my hand. I know there are various aluminum oxide papers also so that is why I am asking.

So before I buy some blue or green I thought I would ask and also if you have a source that would be nice too. I do not sand metals often. There are a number of choices and some I have no idea about like the ceramic ones. Or these red label ones. Before you ask about pens and aluminum inserts I use that is just black wet dry metal sandpaper for polishing. I need for a power sanding belt. I think knife workers sand their blades. Thanks in advance.
This probably isn't terribly helpful, but I've sanded mild steel with just standard belts and discs on both my combination sander as well as my miniature vertical belt sander. My trick is to just go slow and not lean in too hard. I actually used both my disc and vertical sander on some metal this evening.

Michael

rherrell

I like the blue Zirconia belts for general sanding of metals, Empire Abrasives is where I get most of my belts... https://www.empireabrasives.com/6-x-48-zirconia-sanding-belt/

You can use Aluminum Oxide belts on steel, in fact I keep an 80 grit AO belt on my sander for doing all my little quick jobs in ALL materials. If I have a lot of metal sanding to do I'll switch over to the Zirconia belt. I use 80 grit for just about everything, if I could only have one grit that would be it.

egnald

I concur completely with Rick's advise. I use plain old dark red Aluminum Oxide belts on plain old hard metals all the time. The only time I have ever had an issue is with an extremely hard material, like tool steel that has been heat treated or with soft materials like copper and brass that can act a little gummy and can load up the sanding belt. - Dave

Mike

One tbing to be aware of is the possibility of starting a fire in the belt sander chamber where you would connect the vacuum. Wood dust obviously collects there and the sparks from the metal will start a fire. I had this happen years ago, sanded a piece of metal and went in the house, returned and it was smoldering. Melted the plastic piece on bottom of sander.

jttheclockman

I ordered some blue zirconia ones from my place of sanding needs and they just happen to have free shipping going on starting today.

dogcatcher

Don't buy more than you can use in a year. After a period of time the glue gets brittle and will release. I was given a bunch of sanding belts that had been in a shop for several years. Almost all came apart when used. I called the company, and they told me about life of sanding belts. I had a lot of good sanding strips but no belts.

Life? I have no idea, I had forgotten about the issue until I saw this thread.

jttheclockman

Don't buy more than you can use in a year. After a period of time the glue gets brittle and will release. I was given a bunch of sanding belts that had been in a shop for several years. Almost all came apart when used. I called the company, and they told me about life of sanding belts. I had a lot of good sanding strips but no belts.

Life? I have no idea, I had forgotten about the issue until I saw this thread.
Yes I know that one. Been there and done that with my smaller belt sander.

Top Bottom