Saguaro Cactus Rib Jr.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

This Jr, is made from an unussual wood rib from the saguaro plant. Link to the plant. http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/saguaro_cactus.htm

The back ground are actual dried ribs, which take about 1-2 years to dry after the cactus has fallen. Also the wood is approx 100-200 years old.

Very hard to find ribs big enough with little viening to drill & cut into pens, Then the wood is so soft it nearly disinagrates on the lathe. When I get one that actually makes it to completion, the grain is real pretty. I sanded that one rib to show the grain.

I hate to say it, but it very touristy and I sell all I make, but only make 1-3 a month. I always include a base which is just the natural rib to show the contrast.

200411915529_DSC00779.jpg

Anthony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

It's just down right amazing what we can find to cut up in chunks and spin and turn on a lathe and then sell to a customer. Is this fun or what? Nice looking pen Anthony.

Wayne

olsenla

Anthony,

Very nice job on the pen!! I found your use of the cactus rib very interesting. We just returned from a two week vacation in Arizona around the Tombstone/Tucson area, 1st time I had seen saguaro cactus in person. I'm impressed!!

Larry

PenWorks

Yea Fred, CA does keep this thing together. I never thought about stabalizing, I thought it was to pourus. I have a bunch of blanks gathered to be sent off to the guy Wayne refered, I will have to gather a couple of ribs and throw them in the batch, Can't hurt and only cost 1.00 to see the results. I live on 5 ac in the desert and had about 3 big ones go down this year. To bad the dry times takes forever. Wayne ,that one guy that uses a hair dyer to dry his finish, would go crazy waiting two years for his wood to dry out! Anthony

PenWorks

Sorry Bev, but it's good to know you will sell it real quick. I used CA to keep it together while cutting it, and then put a poly finish on it to still keep together. They cut & drill like there is nothing there. Good luck, can't wait to see yours. Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom