Safety suggestion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Many of us are getting long in the tooth, and reach the point when cataract surgery is needed. This presents the option of choosing what kind of lens implant is needed - close up for reading, correction for distance, or some combination. My eye doctor advised taking the simplest route of correcting for distance vision, and then using drug store readers for close work.

But that leaves the issue of safety when working around shop tools. You need corrective lenses to be able to see what you are doing, but you also need safety glasses.

It turns out that there is an inexpensive option - safety glasses that include a 'bifocal' area with reading correction. You probably won't find these at the hardware store or Harbor Freight, but they are readily available from various on-line sources and are relatively inexpensive - something like $5 a pair.

The picture shows a pair hanging next to the door of my shop, right next to where my turning smock hangs. The hanger is just a short length of coathanger wire with the ends bent over and glued into holes drilled in a scrap of plywood. I have a similar hanger in my garage over where the lawn mower lives.

IMG_0972.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom