SAFETY in CUTTING

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

There have been debates as to what tool(s) work best in terms of preparing pen blanks for cutting. My answer is that it's NOT the tool but rather the jig that gives the tool it's effectiveness. I'd like to share a very simple but yet practical jig for SAFELY cutting up pen blanks from flat stock. The best feature is that all cutting is done with a one handed operation and that your fingers are far removed from the saw's blade. The secret lies in the hold down clamp and hopefully the pics will convey it's function.
-Peter-

200642104225_numero1.jpg

200642104243_numero2.jpg

20064210432_numero3.jpg

200642104325_numero3a.jpg

200642104343_numero4.jpg

That's a good idea Peter. It's always a smart thing when your fingers are away from the blade.

Two things I'd like to mention that I noticed in the third photo

Standard miter saw blades are meant for cross cuts. It's not always a good idea to rip boards this way.

It would be a good idea to place a back stop behind the full width of the board.

wood-of-1kind

You're sharp(no pun here) Ron. The third pic contains a board that actually is for modelling purposes only. As you correctly pointed out the mitre saw is intended for cross cuts and that is what I normally do. I cross cut the flat stock to a 5.5"-6" lenght prior to mounting the jig. In this case I had already cut my blanks prior to taking my photo. If you are really sharp of vision you will also note that I'm cutting with my left hand but that is because it's difficult to 'model' for pics and snap a pic with the other[:I] I really do have four fingers and a thumb just in case anyone was wondering[8)] And if I have my way I fully intend to keep them all intact. Don't want to disappoint 'wifey' when she's ready 4play [;)]
-Peter-

DFM

You have got to be kidding me. Buy a table saw and use the *right* tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom