Russ Fairfield Contest advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

Last year, Scott wrote a great introduction for the Russ Fairfield Memorial Contest. I didn't know whether I should just repost the rules with his introduction again or write my own. So, I wrote an introduction and will post both here. Let me know which you think would be better so I can be ready to post it in the next couple of days.

I've kept the rules the same as last year because they seemed simple enough. I also added a link to each of the specific pen styles. Last year a number of people entered "ultimate Russ-line" pens. Do you think that I should mention that as an option as well? I kind of don't want to because the information on how to make one of those is only included in his DVD as far as I can tell, so limiting it to the Fat-line, Long-line or Russ-line seems to even the playing field out a bit.

I'm not sure who the judges were last year, (I think Jeff, Scott and one other person) but I need to line up some judges for this year. If any of last year's judges are willing, I'd love to have them back. I know that Don Ward had a pretty good relationship with Russ, so I was thinking of PMing him and asking if he would be willing to judge, unless anyone knows of any reason why I shouldn't. Is there anybody else that I should think about inviting to judge?

OK, on to the introductions: First is the one that I wrote.

A little over a year ago, the penturning community lost one of its pioneers. Russ Fairfield began making pens in the late 1980's using the only pen kit available at the time – the Slimline. At first, wooden pens were enough of a novelty that Russ was able to sell them without having to make any modifications at all, but as more and more people began to make pens, he saw the need to branch out and offer a different product. He realized that he could make some simple changes to his Slimline pens that made them stand out from the pens that were being offered by the other penturners at the time. Instead of just keeping his new designs to himself, Russ decided to openly share the modifications that he had developed. Throughout his turning career, Russ was always willing to answer questions and teach others what he had learned. He was not content to just make the same designs over and over, he continued to push his craft and discover new ways to make a pen. Much of what we do now, we do because he showed us how. Slims with homemade centerbands, closed ended pens, and hidden clips all came from Russ.

I never met him. I never spoke with him, but he taught me a lot about what makes a good pen. I've done things that I would never have done if I hadn't read through his webpage. His videos have opened my eyes to new techniques, while cementing the importance of the fundamentals. I am the penmaker that I am because of Russ Fairfield. I am honored to be running the Second Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Contest and hope that you learn as much from him as I did last year.

And now, Scott's intro (slightly edited due to time frames) from last year:

I have been asked to introduce the Russ Fairfield Challenge. It is intended to honor our friend and mentor, Russ Fairfield, who passed away January 4th 2011.

The purpose of the contest is to award those who best demonstrate an understanding of Russ's teachings in the field of penturning. What we will be looking for are the pens that best fulfill the spirit of Russ's ideas.

Many of us learned penturning "at Russ's knee." Whether through accessing his website, viewing his videos or reading his articles, many of us first found a love of making pens on the wood lathe through Russ's influence. While each of these resources will continue to be available for new generations of penturners, his voice is now silenced. And what a loss that is. Russ was always willing to answer questions by phone or on Internet forums, gently guiding us to understand and develop our talents.

It seems that Russ was always there for us to lean on, and now that he is gone we realize just how much he aided the emergence of penturning as an art over the past twenty or so years. When Jeff and I were starting the IAP, Russ was instrumental in the early stages, guiding us to a philosophy of sharing our knowledge of penturning.

Back during that same time I was writing a monthly penturning column for the woodturning magazine More Woodturning. In July of 2004 I wrote an article about Russ, the only article I ever wrote that focused on an individual rather than some penturning topic. I would like to share with you some of the things I wrote in that article about Russ.

"Russ says he's been doing woodworking for many years, and that a lathe was always a part of his shop arsenal. Somewhere along the way, he became more interested in woodturning, and we're all glad he did! The reason we're glad is that Russ has not only developed his skills as a woodturner, but he has selflessly worked to develop the skills of countless others as well!"

"His discourse on penturning . . .contains all the information you need to know about turning pens, and on into modifying stock pens to achieve different results. Thousands of good penturners began this hobby after reading information from Russ Fairfield."

"The art of penturning is really about thinking outside the box. Pen kits and the instructions that come with them are the beginning. Russ's teachings are the progression beyond this beginning. He always seems to be coming up with new and interesting ways to make an exceptional pen from ordinary parts. And he is always sharing his knowledge with those of us who haven't quite figured it out yet! A new venture for Russ this year is teaching classes at his new workshop in Post Falls Idaho."

"Lately I've been working closely with Russ on the Organizing Committee for the International Association of Penturners (IAP). While discussing proposals on officers and rules of governance, Russ has been the person who says "what if" or "why not"? He has kept the whole committee centered on the goal of putting together a new association of penturners, dedicated to education on the topics of penturning."

About two years ago I got the opportunity to visit Russ at his home in Post Falls Idaho, and to meet his lovely Wife, Gerry. He had just finished a new video, and he took me to his shop and showed me all the stages he had worked through to produce this video. He then gave me one of the pens that were featured in shooting the video. We then had a nice discussion over a glass of wine of things of little consequence, probably more gossip and BS than anything that would "shake the earth." I will truly miss Russ.

But we still have his teachings, and through the efforts of the American Association of Woodturners, who will soon be hosting his website, Russ's presence will still be with us for future generations of penturners. Visit his site at http://www.woodturner-russ.com/ , and take the time to make a pen in the spirit of Russ Fairfield to enter into this Challenge. And while you're doing so, honoring him in a way he would truly appreciate, smile, and take a moment to think of him.

Thank you.

Scott Greaves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think it is better to use the one you wrote. Scott did write a great intro, it just seems a little cheap to use the same one over again. Maybe you could add the bit about the link to his website in your intro?

Last edited:

Phunky_2003

I agree use your own and add a link to his site.

Yours reads like it comes from the heart. You cant go wrong with that. Its a great write up.

Top Bottom