Run Out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I'm making a new pen kit and decided to use the bushings and turn between centers. I noticed the tail stock end was a bit out of round so I finished the head stock end and reversed the blank leaving the same bushings in place and sure enough trued up the head stock end. I guess I'll turn between centers without bushings on my second one and see if I have the same problem. I'm curious what your favorite live center is when turning between centers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

It could be a number of things.
1 - have you checked your alignment?
2 - were you using mandrel type bushings? (I have had inconsistent results doing this)

I don't TBC without bushings. I find it too hard on the tubes causing flaring and thinning of the tube ends.

I have a Novus LC and a Proxxon that came with my lathe. I did have a cheap one that lasted a couple years. I would recommend buying a name brand.

PatrickR

Thank you Patrick, good information. The bushings were to be used on the mandrel. I agree about the flaring of the tube ends. Last time I checked and the head stock and the tail stock were in alignment.
If you do not have a set of TBC adapter bushings look into getting some from TBC Bushings. Top quality and work well as long as the mandrel bushings are a good fit (there is some slop with some of them). If it is a kit that you will make a number of, spring for the kit specific ones, I get the best results with them.

Curly

If your blanks aren't square they can **** the bushings over a touch and cause out of roundness. When you put the blanks between centres turn it at low speed and slowly touch the end of your finger nail to the bushing if not square you will feel a tapping. Carefully square up the blank and try again until good. Do both ends if you have to.

Top Bottom