ruby sphere ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

Here's a pretty cool one I made today. It has a sphere of ruby from a coordinate measuring machine. It's probably round to within a millionth of an inch or so. I had a hard time locating some, but finally found a manufacturer of them. I'll need to add this one to the site.

2007584746_sphere.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Very gorgeous and very unique. I can't say I have EVER seen a ring with a round stone before. If my wife wore high-mount rings I would be placing the order right now.

GK

Gary Max

The most amazing part to me is --with the # of hours a day you work where in the heck do you find time to add products to your inventory.
Oh SWMBO is still showing off her new ring----even the mailman has seen it now-----LOL

btboone

Thanks guys. Gary, that was an actual order, otherwise, you're right, I probably wouldn't have found the time to do it. After working all day and getting a lot of rings out, it looks like I didn't do anything yesterday!

JimGo

Bruce, I can't believe you copied my design! lol

That's a beauty! What are the letters in the inside of the ring? Are they engraved, or merely a reflection of something near the ring?

btboone

Hi Jim, that's engraving. It says Ivan. I have a CNC ring engraver that does the inside of the rings. It scratches the surface with a stylus of diamond or carbide.

btboone

I was reading that fine pens do use ruby spheres for their ball point. There is only a couple places in the world that make the ruby balls, and they all get the raw material from a place in Switzerland that grows the crystals. Apparantly, a company named Linde makes synthetic sapphire which is the same stuff, but with some kind of additive. They are used in laser optics amongst other uses.

Skye

Millionth of an inch or so? Pffffffft! Why dont I take that one off your hands while you work out the kinks?

Sweet ring man. I'm going to have to order one (simpler and cheaper) some day from you.

btboone

Randy, they are extremely accurate measuring machines that usually have a gantry and a granite base. They are typically used to measure 3 dimensional coordinates in things like plastic molded parts or machined parts where they must be accurately measured to ten thousandths of an inch. This is used to trend quality control and processes. If on a plastic part, a certain critical dimension is too long, they could fine adjust the cooling cycle and control that dimension. On complex machined parts like a car engine, they can measure very exactly whether surfaces ar perpendicular to each other and machined concentrically and things like that. Here's a picture of one. The probe at the end is what touches the part, and that is where the ruby balls that are made so accurately are used.

http://www.brownandsharpe.com/cmm_microhite_3d_reflex.asp

Randy_

Thanks, Bruce. Very interesting!!

Why does it not surprise me that they are made in Switzerland??

I bet those puppies cost a bushel of Swiss francs!!

And one more question for you.....why do they use rubies rather than some other material.....carbide and diamond coming immediately to mind??

btboone

They do make those probe tips in carbide as well. I've also seen some kind of black ceramic. I guess it has to do with how perfect they can grind a sphere. It must also have something to do with the hardness and crystal structure. They need to be extremely perfectly round. If it gets worn down at all or something caked upon it, it would be useless in that application. I don't know that diamond can be ground in the same fashion. They are not that expensive; something like $15 or so. I was surprised how cool it looks in a ring though.

I also have a ruby rod about 5" long a 3/8" diameter for a ruby laser. That's a "spare time" project to get the electronics for its flashlamp working. It should be powerful enough to blast holes through thin steel.

elody21

Totally amazing Bruce! Now stick an amethest in there and send it my way and you have it made![:)]

btboone

Hi Dario, there's probably around 70 pounds of pressure on the ball. It's enough that you can pull with all your might and never get anything to move. Alice, I haven't found any amethyst spheres as of yet. [:)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You know I've always admired your work Bruce, really cool stuff.
Tell me tho, is the stone held between flats or do you have 'dimples' to locate it? If there are dimples, how do you make them on the flat surfaces?[?]

btboone

Skiprat, I did make dimples. I used a diamond shaped burr on a milling machine and dug the cutter into the side wall and raised the table to get an approximation of a spherical cut dimple. I don't have any spherical cutters that would work in the titanium but it seemed to work fine.

btboone

Hi Jim, it's what it takes to spread the arms. It's done with a technique I developed that has a lot of mechanical advantage, so it takes less effort when setting it, but it takes a lot of force to open the arms.

rtgleck

Bruce, as the other's have said, I always admire and lover your work and this is no exception. Very nice looking Ring to add to the rest of the works of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom