Roughed out Platters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

At the last meeting of the Richmond Woodturners we had Mike Mahoney do a live remote demo. Among other things he talked about the best Woods for bowls and platters and how to prepare and rough out blanks for platters. I had a big chunk of beech laying beside my driveway and decided to try my hand at some platters. The beech has some nice spalting. I coated my roughed out platters with poly vinyl acetate (Elmer's glue) for drying. I cut some blanks for matching salad bowls that I hope to rough out in a few days. I also cut some pen and bird house ornament sized blanks from the cut offs.

B6B5C9F0-A37D-4139-8731-71670E253FBD.jpeg

47FDDED7-4F53-4628-89C5-276E8E6B0841.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

Nicely done!

I recall seeing a video where he left the tenon on roughed out bowl blanks. Does he recommend that for platters as well or is that something that you decided to do? Any thoughts or experiences on the pros and cons of leaving them on?

Cwalker935

He recommends leaving the tenon for platters as well.

Nicely done!

I recall seeing a video where he left the tenon on roughed out bowl blanks. Does he recommend that for platters as well or is that something that you decided to do? Any thoughts or experiences on the pros and cons of leaving them on?

Charlie_W

Well done Cody...and nicely spalted beech.

Can you comment on the live remote demo? I know others are doing this but have not heard from clubs as to overall thoughts.....would your club be likely to do this again?
Thanks!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Well done Cody...and nicely spalted beech.

Can you comment on the live remote demo? I know others are doing this but have not heard from clubs as to overall thoughts.....would your club be likely to do this again?
Thanks!
Cody may add more, but this is our second time having a remote demo. Both were well received and we will likely do more. It's certainly more cost effective for the club as no travel and lodging expenses, it's easier to schedule as the demonstrator only needs a few hours rather than days, and they have all the tools in their workshop handy. Our first was Trent Bosch. He actually sent some turned pieces and tools beforehand which made the presentation even better. Not sure I would want all the demos remote, but these 2 certainly worked. We've been wanting to do this for a while, but only recently got a better WiFi connection thanks to Woodcraft. A large screen tv, computer and good internet is all that's really required as long as the demonstrator is well prepared.

And nice start Cody! Good enough to eat on.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I second Bruce's comments. I've seen Trent Bosch's demo both live and remotely and really do not see much if any downside to the remote. You might see more at the live demo if you are in the front rows or in a small venue. I saw the live demo in a larger venue and was seated farther back so I actually saw more at the remote.

Charlie_W

Bruce , Cody,

Thanks for the info and the two thumbs up. Yes, it all depends on the Internet connection and display screens. Our clubs up here have mentioned this method but none have tried it yet to my knowledge.
We usually split up the travel among the clubs according to the number of demos and workshop days.

Cody....sorry to take your thread in a different direction.

Top Bottom