Rough cutting bowl blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chasper

Chasper

I have a pile of English Walnut I'm planning to cut some bowl blanks from this weekend. There is a lot of crotch wood in what I have. Can somebody tell me more about what I need to do. Should I be trying to get horizontal bowl blanks like this?

2008125165827_crotch%20bowl%20A.jpg

[/img]

200812516592_crotch%20bowl%20B.jpg

Or should I go for verticle blanks like this?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Gerry just send us one of each and we will send photos of the completed bowls. That way you can choose which grain pattern you like best! :D

Mike

Chasper

Mike,
You are joking (maybe) but I wouldn't mind actually doing that. I'm in Southern Indiana, not far from you, and I was thinking about cutting some bowl blanks to take to the Mid-West IAP gathering in March. If I get anywhere near the capital of our great state in the next few weeks I'll email you about dropping off a few pieces.

Vick,
That is a good instructional, very helpful, thanks..

Russianwolf

Another option is to leave the pith in the blanks. You will likely get cracking, but it can have some interesting effects. This is for art bowls.

If the bowls are to be used as bowls and not artwork, then avoid the pith at all costs.

louisbry

There are many ways of approaching this, but here is my take. If you are not going to turn the bowls right away, the best way to preserve the wood for bowl turning is to cut the log about 4 inches longer than its diamater and seal the ends with anchorseal, wax, or latex paint. Leaving the log a little long allows you room to cut off a few inches to rid it of any cracks that develop near the ends. When you get ready to turn a bowl, cut the log in half (remove the pith section if the log is larger than say 10 to 12 inches) Now you can decide to cut a blank for face plate turning or natural edge turning. Please be aware that unless the tree was cut in the late fall or winter when the sap was drained, the bark will most likely fall off on a natural edge bowl. The references to cutting a blank above are very good and you can't go wrong following the instructional drawings provided. Don is right on in his description and reference. I imagine I would prefer to remove the pith on any turning other than endgrain natural edge bowl or hollow vessel. On most other endgrain turnings I would cut the blank off center of the pith.

Top Bottom