Rotary sanding a blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chaz

This short video is of me sanding a honeycomb acrylic blank using a rotary tool (Similar to a Foredom tool)

I find chasing sanding artifacts annoying. Using the rotary eliminates the need for cross-sanding and leaves a decent finish.

I use hook & loop, 1" discs in 120 - 400 grits. With most acrylic blanks, I don't go higher than 320.

In the video, the blank is turning at 1000rpm, and the tool at 5000rpm. I wish the tool went lower than 5000, but it doesn't. A real Foredom will.

Last edited:

d_bondi

I have recently tried the same thing, but have been using 240-400-800 grits on a 3" foam backed hook and loop attachment I use in my Milwaukee M12 battery drill. Lathe at about 1000 rpm and drill between 1200-1700 rpm. I decided to give it a try after seeing Bob Blanford (RJBWoodturner) doing it in his videos.

I feel like it is doing a good job, speeds up the process and reduces (but doesn't elminiate) chasing those sanding artifacts. That depends on the material and finish too.

I think I need to look for some 320 and 600 grit 3" discs, missing those intermediates is not the best practice. It is really hard for 400 grit to remove scratches from 240 grit, etc... The kit I bought on amazon goes up to 10000 grit, but doesn't have some of the lower intermediates. I am only using these three really. Ater that I use Zona or MicroMesh.

Chaz

I have recently tried the same thing, but have been using 240-400-800 grits on a 3" foam backed hook and loop attachment I use in my Milwaukee M12 battery drill. Lathe at about 1000 rpm and drill between 1200-1700 rpm. I decided to give it a try after seeing Bob Blanford (RJBWoodturner) doing it in his videos.

I feel like it is doing a good job, speeds up the process and reduces (but doesn't elminiate) chasing those sanding artifacts. That depends on the material and finish too.

I think I need to look for some 320 and 600 grit 3" discs, missing those intermediates is not the best practice. It is really hard for 400 grit to remove scratches from 240 grit, etc... The kit I bought on amazon goes up to 10000 grit, but doesn't have some of the lower intermediates. I am only using these three really. Ater that I use Zona or MicroMesh.
I think a 3" disc is too much for the small stuff I turn. A hand drill is a bit too clumsy as well. I use that sort of rig for larger projects.

I don't mess with Zona/Micromesh. I stop sanding at 320. You can tell it's been sanded, but there are no scratches left, that I can see, anyway.

Top Bottom