Rollerball from scratch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I built this from 430 magnetic stainless, the body is one solid shaft and the roller ball loads from the rear. This is my first from scratch pen. The only thing used in the construction from a kit was the roller ball cartridge itself. Hope you like it>>>>>JK

Attachments

• Stainless Rollerball.jpg
    Stainless Rollerball.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 328
  • Stainless rollerball 1.jpg
    Stainless rollerball 1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Stainless rollerball 3.jpg
    Stainless rollerball 3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I'm impressed too. I think the threadless idea with the black rubber o rings is pretty inventive. The entire pen is real sweet looking, and I like the clip. I do wonder how the clip is installed, is it threaded or glued? My only concern is that because the clip is held in a single round hole, whether threaded or glued in, over time it will begin to swing side to side..unlike Steves single round clip which attaches into the top the down around, which wouldn't allow for side to side movement. Bruce Robbins was telling me he had that problem when he first started casting clips, he would use one prong and glue it in, but it would eventually give to swinging so he added another prong below the first one.

drjpawlus

Why did you choose 430 magnetic stainless for this pen? I am using the same steel for another project which I will be posting soon. Just curious as to your thought process on this selection.

I chose 430 because it machines well and contains 17 percent chromium, when you polish stainless with a high chrome content it looks like chrome. As to the weight of the pen, it weighs 4 ounces. I guess I should name it "The Quarter pounder">>>>>>>>JK

Last edited:
Top Bottom