Rockler "Classic" ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pnctar

Finished my second Rockler Classic Twist pen this morning and I'm having the same problem with it as the first. When pressing the twist mechanism to the cap it requires so much pressure that I damaged the nib on the first one and had to file it out with a needle file. When I put this one together I put a 3/4" piece of MDF on the nib side and by the time it was pressed together the nib had gone halfway through the MDF. Now the mechanism doesn't work right. It'll open but not retract and is extremely difficult to turn.

Is this a bum kit? any ideas on how to fix it?

BTW: I'm now using the PSI kits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

What pen kit are you refering to?? Is this the Flat top pen, sometimes called the "American Classic". I could not find this on Rockler's website.
Rockler sells normally Berea products. If you mean the Flat top pens, you must make sure that the tube is clean inside before you assemble the top part of the pen. I run a "L" bit through it to clean out even the smallest amount of glue or so that could be inside it. Before I had sometimes the problem that the twist mechanism was very tough if not impossible to operate.
Also, it takes not too mcu pressure to press the two pen parts together. You may have a little over done here.

The pen can be easily dis-assembled, but you may ruin the twist mechanism when doing so. It goes as follows:
get a rod that fit inside the barrel from the centerband side
drill a hole in apiece of wood so that the brass thingy that is on the other end will clear (you must unscrew the finial and remove the clip). Set the top barrel on the piece of wood so that the brass thingy is centered on the hole and press with the rod the whole mechanism out the back end. I use an arbor press, but a drill press will work, too.
Clean out the brass tube with the "L" bit and remove the brass thingy from the twist mechanism. In about 50% of the cases I can re-use the twister, if not use anew one.

Also, with pressing the nib end too hard to a hard surface one may damage the nib. I had a batch of chrome nibs that were too tight due to excess plating. I used small number drill bits to open up the hole so the refill can retract again.

HTH

Rudy

pnctar

Thanks for the info. I managed to take it apart and the mechanism isn't working any longer. I'm not going to bother with trying to replace it. Put it all back together with the pen open and ... put CA in it and made it disposable. Guess I'll chalk this one up to "experience".

This is just a thought and my 2 cents worth. If you don't want to pay top $$ for your kits try Ryan or Jason at www.woodturningz.com they sell all the Penn State products at cheaper prices than Pen St does and you can order using the same catalog numbers that are in the PSI catalog. They also run some great specials, like right now they have the EZ Grip Gel Writers at PSI's price for 100 and you can order as many or few as you want. You can buy slimlines all the time from them for $1.70 in black, gold, silver or satin! They also have specials on blanks. Get on their mailing list and they'll send you notice of the specials every 2 weeks. You do have to order by phone tho. [:D]

pnctar

Thanks for the info Bev. Monday I received a $300 order from them and they have been great to work with. Some of the best customer service that I have received in a long time. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom