Robert's Jumbo Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Is that a golf clip on the pen? It looks like the parts have been custom made. I have enough problem with the wood...I envy those who can work in metal as well.

roberts

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
Sorry for delay, getting ready for D-Day parade tomorrow, I'm on police duty.[:(]
Anyway, lets get down to business.[:D]
The jumbo pen, which can be used for those who have difficulty in hold a slim-line pen, was purchased as a kit from Craft Supplies UK for about $2 (£3.75). The blank is drilled 7.5mm, one 60mm long (top) and bottom of 50mm. The cap is turned seperatly and is a real pain to do. The clip is a golf club which is screwed to the top barrel after making a small indentation in it, the brass top ring then fits over a bush that sits on top of the top tube, it is a very tight fit and need a vice to get it on. The middle ring is rebated so that the bottom barrel rotates, I fixed this ring with ca glue to the top (I over-cut by a mm so it was a bad fit[:I]).
The pen kit comes with a diagram which shows where things go, not how to do it, I bought two kits but the second had miss-cut tubes so I will have to find some more but 7.5 mm is not an easy size.

If you are interested in this item, it's catalogue number from C.S. is IB741D. I found it quite a comfortable pen to use, sits nicely in the hand, pity I am giving it away to an arthritic friend.

I hope the words I have used do not need translating but let me know if they are uninteligable to you.[;)]

I am so please you all took an interest in my work, I am over critical of it that is why I never sell any, i always find faults. For the last few days I have walking round grinning at everybody because nobody, apart from SWMBO has passed any comments, I appreciate it (good or bad).

Thanks again

Bob `S`

Daniel

I flew past the home page so fast I didn't even notice the new picture.
Had to backtrack and take a look. Great pens and thanks for the Info on the monster.

Scott

Hi Robert!

That really is a neat looking pen! The kits from Craft Supplies UK are not readily available her in the US. Recently we have found a Canadian supplier that has made the CSUK kits available to us, but they are still a new thing. Explaining your experiences with them will always be of interest to us, as we love to hear about "new kits"! ;-)

You mentioned that the instructions were somewhat lacking. I hear that is a common problems for the kits from CSUK. I was thinking it would be appropriate for us here at Penturners.org to come up with our own instructions for various kits, and have them available here on this web page! What do you think? That way even if the company's instructions are lacking, we'd still have good instructions at a central location.

Do you have any pen kits available to you other than the CSUK kits? If not, would you like to try some?

Scott.

roberts

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom.
I have just sat for 20 minutes typing a reply and when i tried to post it, it cleared everything[:(!]

Here we go again, I like your idea Scott, there cannot be many styles or makes of pen that have not been tried by the group so there must be a wealth of info on all the problems encountered and the solutions which will be of great help to newcomers (and even those more experienced).

I get my kits from CSUK and a local dealer, I think though he buys from CS and re-packages as all the contents appear the same including the instructions. I am willing to try anything but I do sit and think rather a long time before I get going so it takes a while to get skew to wood, my Wife always said if I spend more time doing than thinking I would get more done, but it is not as much fun [:)]

The book I use to sort out my problems is called ' Turing pens and Pencils' by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham published by the Guild of Master Craftsman, isbn number 1-86108-100-6 printed in Singapore (for a UK company). The cost is rather high at £16.95 (about $21) but I have found it is a fountain of info even idiot proof[:D] which suits me.

If there is anything anybody wants from the UK and I can get it, just let me know.

Regards to all and I like your idea of pens for the troops as long as they do not sell them when they come home and flood the market[;)].

Bob `S`

Daniel

Scott,
I am all for the writing of instructions for the kits. But I wold want the drawings as well and I would be unable to do that at present. any suggestions, anybody.
we could start with a generic instruction for cutting drilling, gluing tubes and squaring etc. that could be modified for each kit. then only the specifics need to be addressed for each kit.
Bob, You did yourself well with the book you bought. It is concidered a top of the line book. If not the best by many.

Scott

Hi Bob,

Check out the links here at this site, and go to Craft Supplies USA and Berea Hardwoods. They both have some wonderful kits (with pretty good instructions), and would probably ship to you.

The Rex Burningham that co-wrote that book is one of the top executives at Craft Supplies USA. He's a very nice guy - you would like him! Kip Christensen is a professor at the university in Provo Utah, and he's a nice guy too! I'll probably see them both this next week, and I'll tell them Hi for you!

Daniel, We've both got our plate full right now, but lets keep this in mind for after the organizing committee does it's thing. I agree with needing diagrams, but we could also have pictures of representative pens made from the kit. I think a forum approach for setting up the instructions would work well!

Scott.

Daniel

Man was that missing the forrest for the trees.Photos Who would have thunked of that not the guy thats been writing about photos for the last three days :) maybe you have something with that full plate comment.

debturnswood

Bob S, cool fimo pens, do you do the moldin gyoruself around the brass tubes? doe sit take long to set up? what do you use to sand and finish a pen made with the Fimo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom